Number of unique prime factors of n is O(log n/(log log n))?

In summary: Since p\left(n\right)>0 for all n>0, doesn't this suffice for the lower bound condition of [itex]p\left(n\right)\in\mathcal{O}\left(...\right) so this reduces to a problem of finding the upper...
madilyn

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f(n)[/itex] denote the number of unique prime factors of some positive integer [itex]n > 1[/itex]. Prove that [itex]f(n) \in \mathcal{O}\left(\dfrac{\log n}{\log \log n}\right)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since every prime number except 2 is prime, an upper bound on the number of prime factors of any [itex]n[/itex] would be [itex]k[/itex] such that
[tex]\displaystyle{\dfrac{n}{\prod_{i=1}^{k}\left(2i-1\right)}=1}[/tex]
[tex]\ln n=\sum_{i=1}^{k}\ln\left(2i-1\right)[/tex]
Using AM-GM inequality,
[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{k}\ln\left(2i-1\right)\geq k\sqrt[k]{\prod_{i=1}^{k}\left(2i-1\right)}=k\sqrt[k]{n}[/tex]
The best I can arrive at is:
[tex]\ln\ln n\geq\ln k+\dfrac{1}{k}\ln n[/tex]
which is ugly. I've also tried attacking this with
[tex]\dfrac{\sqrt{n}}{\prod_{i=1}^{k}\left(2i-1\right)}=1[/tex]
instead, but this makes my inequality uglier.

What should I do? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your approach.
madilyn said:
Since every prime number except 2 is prime
I guess that last word should be "odd", otherwise the statement is odd (sorry ;)).
What does the next equation say? That equation has no solution for most n, I would expect an inequality here.

How do you get the equation below "Using AM-GM inequality,"?

mfb said:
I don't understand your approach.I guess that last word should be "odd", otherwise the statement is odd (sorry ;)).
What does the next equation say? That equation has no solution for most n, I would expect an inequality here.

How do you get the equation below "Using AM-GM inequality,"?

Haha, yes it should read "odd".

The left hand side of the inequality is the arithmetic mean while the right hand side is the geometric mean:

[tex]{\displaystyle \dfrac{\sum_{i=1}^{k}\ln\left(2i-1\right)}{k}\geq\sqrt[k]{\prod_{i=1}^{k}\left(2i-1\right)}}[/tex]

I don't think this cuts through the problem though. :(

I would approach this another way entirely.
For any prime p < n, what is the probability that p|n?
Are these probabilities independent?
Using that, what is the average number of different primes that divide n?
To go further, need to use the usual formula for the density of primes. I assume you are allowed to use that.

Interestingly, I don't get the given answer. Seems too high. Is the ∈ symbol denoting 'behaves like' or 'is bounded above by'?

haruspex said:
To go further, need to use the usual formula for the density of primes. I assume you are allowed to use that.

Interestingly, I don't get the given answer. Seems too high. Is the ∈ symbol denoting 'behaves like' or 'is bounded above by'?

It means [itex]{\displaystyle \limsup_{x\rightarrow\infty}\left[p\left(n\right)/\left(\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}\right)\right]<\infty}[/itex].

Alternatively, [itex]\exists c,n_{0} c\geq0[/itex] and for all [itex]n\geq n_{0}[/itex], such that [itex]\left|p\left(n\right)\right|\leq c\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}[/itex].

I believe that means [itex]p\left(n\right)[/itex] is within some constant multiple of [itex]\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}[/itex] neglecting small [itex]n<n_0[/itex]. So we don't need a very strong bound.

madilyn said:
I believe that means ##p\left(n\right)## is within some constant multiple of ##\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}##
Well, no, that would mean it is asymptotically like ##\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}##, whereas all your other statements say it is asymptotically bounded above by ##\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}##.
I make the asymptotic behaviour ##\ln\ln n##. If so, the given expression is indeed an asymptotic upper bound, but a very loose one.

Have you tried answering my other questions?

haruspex said:

I will think about your approach. It seems to me that my approach would suffice if I can show that [itex]
haruspex said:
Well, no, that would mean it is asymptotically like ##\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}##, whereas all your other statements say it is asymptotically bounded above by ##\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}##.
I make the asymptotic behaviour ##\ln\ln n##. If so, the given expression is indeed an asymptotic upper bound, but a very loose one.

Have you tried answering my other questions?

Sorry I accidentally posted before answering your other questions. I'm still thinking about your approach. Our professor did emphasize that we didn't need to and shouldn't rely on the density of primes to prove this proposition. That seems to prevent your approach.

Hm, I'm getting confused now. Doesn't it mean that [itex]p\left(n\right)[/itex] is bounded above by some constant multiple of [itex]\dfrac{\ln\ln n}{\ln n}[/itex] as well as below by the negative of the same constant multiple of [itex]\dfrac{\ln\ln n}{\ln n}[/itex]? Is this what you mean by "asymptotically behaves like" instead of "asymptotically bounded above by"?

Since [itex]p\left(n\right)>0[/itex] for all [itex]n>0[/itex], doesn't this suffice for the lower bound condition of [itex]p\left(n\right)\in\mathcal{O}\left(...\right)[/itex] so this reduces to a problem of finding the upper bound?

madilyn said:
Is this what you mean by "asymptotically behaves like"
No, 'asymptotically behaves like' would mean ##0 < {\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\left[p\left(n\right)/\left(\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}\right)\right]<\infty}##
madilyn said:
Our professor did emphasize that we didn't need to and shouldn't rely on the density of primes to prove this proposition. That seems to prevent your approach.
Fair enough.

haruspex said:
No, 'asymptotically behaves like' would mean ##0 < {\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty}\left[p\left(n\right)/\left(\dfrac{\log n}{\log\log n}\right)\right]<\infty}##

I see - thanks!

haruspex said:
Fair enough.

Yeah. I've been staring at my approach and it seems to get me to [itex]\mathcal{O}\left(\dfrac{\ln n}{\sqrt[n]{n}}\right)[/itex], which is still too loose. I really admire the people who led all the way to the PNT.

madilyn said:
I see - thanks!
Yeah. I've been staring at my approach and it seems to get me to [itex]\mathcal{O}\left(\dfrac{\ln n}{\sqrt[n]{n}}\right)[/itex], which is still too loose. I really admire the people who led all the way to the PNT.
How about Sterling's formula? I think that'll do it. But you don't need to go to the trouble of eliminating even factors, that makes little difference.

haruspex said:
How about Sterling's formula? I think that'll do it. But you don't need to go to the trouble of eliminating even factors, that makes little difference.

I think Sterling's formula works and is cleaner than AM-GM on odd factors. I should've done that.

I got the production function in the geometric part wrong, otherwise I realized that approach works too after a few simplifying assumptions (as you've pointed out, this bound is really weak).

Thanks so much!

Related to Number of unique prime factors of n is O(log n/(log log n))?

What does it mean for the number of unique prime factors of n to be O(log n/(log log n))?

This means that as the number n increases, the number of unique prime factors of n will also increase, but at a slower rate. Specifically, the number of unique prime factors will increase logarithmically in proportion to the logarithm of n divided by the logarithm of the logarithm of n.

How does this relate to the prime factorization of n?

The prime factorization of n is the expression of n as a product of its prime factors. The number of unique prime factors of n is the total number of different prime numbers that are factors of n. Therefore, the statement that the number of unique prime factors of n is O(log n/(log log n)) means that the prime factorization of n will have a logarithmic relationship with the logarithm of n divided by the logarithm of the logarithm of n.

What is the significance of this relationship?

This relationship is significant because it tells us about the complexity of finding the prime factorization of a number. As n gets larger, the number of unique prime factors will increase, but not at a very fast rate. This means that the process of finding all the prime factors becomes more manageable as n increases, making it a useful tool for certain mathematical calculations.

How is this concept used in mathematics and computer science?

The concept of the number of unique prime factors of n being O(log n/(log log n)) is used in various fields of mathematics and computer science. It is used in number theory to study the properties of prime numbers, in cryptography for encryption and decryption algorithms, and in data structures and algorithms for efficient storage and retrieval of prime factors.

Can this relationship be proven mathematically?

Yes, this relationship has been proven mathematically using various mathematical techniques such as number theory, logarithmic functions, and complexity analysis. The proof involves showing that the number of unique prime factors of n is bounded by the logarithm of n divided by the logarithm of the logarithm of n.