Number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups

In summary: The answer I get for this problem is a single combination, which is nothing like the suggested answer. Perhaps there is more detail in the question - additional specifications - that has been omitted.
ENgez
Hello,

I was given a question (not a HW question..) in which i was asked to calculate the number of ways to sort n numbers into k groups, where for any two groups, the elements of one group are all smaller or larger than the elements of the other group.

The answer is supposed to be [tex](k!)^{\frac{k}{n}}(\frac{k}{n}!)[/tex]

I understand the term [tex](\frac{k}{n}!)[/tex]

as the it is the number of ways to arrange the groups. What I do not understand is the power of the first term.
Can anyone give me an intuitive answer where it comes from?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your understanding of the meaning of ##
(\frac{k}{n}!)
##?

Since ##\frac{k}{n}## will be a fraction less than 1, its factorial is not defined.

The answer I get for this problem is a single combination, which is nothing like the suggested answer. Perhaps there is more detail in the question - additional specifications - that has been omitted.

my mistake, every k/n is supposed to be n/k.

ENgez said:
my mistake, every k/n is supposed to be n/k.
That doesn't help: x! is still only defined for integers. Furthermore, (k!)n/k is only going to yield an integer for a limited set of (n, k).

Assuming the groupings are not distinct so for instance {{1, 2}, {3, 4}} is identical to {{3, 4}, {1, 2}}, the correct answer is in fact a single binomial coefficient ## \binom {n-1}{k-1} ##

1. Sort the numbers into ascending order.
  2. The problem can then be represented by partitioning a list of n star symbols into k groups separated by bars e.g. for (n=6, k=3) one solution is * | * * * | * *
  3. Assuming each group must contain at least one number, the number of arrangements for such a "stars and bars" problem can easily be seen to be ## \binom {n-1}{k-1} = \frac{(n-1)!}{(k-1)!(n-k-2)!} ##

tnx for the reply, but the groups are distinct, as I am interested in the number of ways to shuffle them around.
you can assume that n/k is an integer.

ENgez said:
tnx for the reply, but the groups are distinct, as I am interested in the number of ways to shuffle them around.
Then multiply the answer I gave by the number of ways to shuffle k groups which is simply k!.
ENgez said:
you can assume that n/k is an integer.
Not necessary, however this makes me wonder whether the groups must be of equal size? If this is the case then the solution is trivial and I invite you to provide it - everything you need is in this thread.

Related to Number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups

What is the formula for calculating the number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups?

The formula for calculating the number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups is given by the combination formula: nCk = n! / (k!(n-k)!), where n is the total number of elements and k is the number of groups.

Can the number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups be negative?

No, the number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups cannot be negative. It represents the total number of possible arrangements, which cannot be negative.

Can the number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups be a decimal?

No, the number of ways to arrange n numbers in k groups must be a whole number. It represents the total number of possible arrangements, which cannot be a decimal.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations in relation to arranging n numbers in k groups?

Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange all n numbers in a specific order, while combinations refer to the number of ways to arrange k numbers from a set of n numbers without considering the specific order.

Can the same number be used in multiple groups when arranging n numbers in k groups?

Yes, the same number can be used in multiple groups when arranging n numbers in k groups. This is because the arrangement is based on the groups, not the individual elements.