Number of windings for 120-V household circuit?

In summary, to determine the number of windings for the secondary coil of a model train's transformer connected to a 120-V household circuit, we can use the equation V1/V2 = N1/N2. With the primary coil having 240 windings and the desired voltage ratio being 6/120, the secondary coil should have 12 windings. This type of transformer is known as a stepdown transformer.
a1densmom
A model train requires 6 V to operate. If the primary coil of its transformer has 240 windings, how many windings should the secondary have if the primary is connected to a 120-V household circuit?

V1/V2 = N1/N2

my teacher went over this with the class, and said that N2= 6V/120V(240), so it equals 12. I don't get how he got that answer. Can someone help me to understand please?

Physics news on Phys.org
He is correct. This type of transformer is sometimes called a stepdown transformer because it transforms a big voltage to a smaller one. The turns ratio equals the desired voltage ratio, so
n2/240 = 6/120
and n2=12 as claimed.

I see. Thank you. For some reason, how you wrote it, it clicked in my head.

You're welcome!

Related to Number of windings for 120-V household circuit?

1. How many windings are typically needed for a 120-V household circuit?

The number of windings needed for a 120-V household circuit can vary depending on the specific electrical devices and appliances being used. However, in general, a 120-V circuit will require around 240 windings.

2. What factors can affect the number of windings needed for a 120-V household circuit?

The number of windings needed for a 120-V household circuit can be affected by several factors, including the length of the wire, the type of wire used, the load on the circuit, and the desired voltage drop.

3. Can the number of windings for a 120-V household circuit be too high?

Yes, the number of windings for a 120-V household circuit can be too high. If there are too many windings, the circuit may become overloaded, leading to potential safety hazards and damage to electrical devices.

4. Is it possible to adjust the number of windings for a 120-V household circuit?

Yes, the number of windings for a 120-V household circuit can be adjusted. This can be done by changing the wire gauge, using a transformer, or adding additional circuits to distribute the load.

5. Are there any safety considerations when determining the number of windings for a 120-V household circuit?

Yes, safety should always be a top consideration when determining the number of windings for a 120-V household circuit. It is important to follow electrical codes and regulations, as well as properly grounding the circuit to prevent electrical shocks and fires.

Back