Number Theory. If d=gcd(a,b) then

In summary, the greatest common divisor (gcd) is the largest positive integer that divides two given integers without a remainder. It can be calculated using methods like the Euclidean algorithm or prime factorization. The gcd is related to the least common multiple (lcm) by the formula lcm(a,b) = (a*b) / gcd(a,b), and it is an important concept in number theory for solving problems related to integers. In real life, the gcd has various applications such as in cryptography, simplifying fractions, finding repeating decimals, and determining ingredient ratios in recipes.
celtics777

Homework Statement

If d=gcd(a,b) show that gcd((a/d),(b/d))=1

Homework Equations

N/A?

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically, I know that I need to show that 1 is a linear combination of a/d and b/d. I'm not exactly sure how to go about this. Dividing by d gives (d/d)=1=gcd(a/d,b/d) if that's correct, does that get me anywhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
If d = gcd(a,b), then what does that imply about linear combinations of a and b?

FAQ: Number Theory. If d=gcd(a,b) then

1. What is the definition of the greatest common divisor (gcd)?

The greatest common divisor (gcd) of two integers a and b is the largest positive integer that divides both a and b without a remainder.

2. How is the gcd calculated?

The gcd can be calculated using various methods such as the Euclidean algorithm or prime factorization.

3. What is the relationship between the gcd and the least common multiple (lcm)?

The gcd and lcm are related by the following formula: lcm(a,b) = (a*b) / gcd(a,b). This means that the lcm is the product of the two numbers divided by their gcd.

4. How does the gcd relate to number theory?

The gcd is an important concept in number theory as it helps in solving various problems related to integers, such as finding the common factors of two numbers or determining whether two numbers are coprime (have a gcd of 1).

5. What is the significance of the gcd in real life applications?

The gcd is used in various real life applications such as cryptography, where it is used to find a common key for secure communication. It is also used in simplifying fractions, finding the period of a repeating decimal, and in determining the best ratio for mixing ingredients in recipes.