{Number Theory} Smallest integer solution

In summary: You're welcome. But my argument why is pretty dodgy. If you want to be more rigorous, can you show that ##2015yz## must be a perfect square? What would that imply?
youngstudent16

Homework Statement

Let ##x,y,z## be positive integers such that ##\sqrt{x+2\sqrt{2015}}=\sqrt{y}+\sqrt{z}## find the smallest possible value of ##x##

Homework Equations

Not even sure what to ask I'm trying to learn number theory doing problems and look up information by doing the problems. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I have done so far is get it set equal to ##x## so that I could make do some algebra and the answer would pop up.
##x=2\sqrt{yz}+y+z-2\sqrt{2015}##

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
youngstudent16 said:

Homework Statement

Let ##x,y,z## be positive integers such that ##\sqrt{x+2\sqrt{2015}}=\sqrt{y}+\sqrt{z}## find the smallest possible value of ##x##

Homework Equations

Not even sure what to ask I'm trying to learn number theory doing problems and look up information by doing the problems. [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I have done so far is get it set equal to ##x## so that I could make do some algebra and the answer would pop up.
##x=2\sqrt{yz}+y+z-2\sqrt{2015}##

Thanks for any help.

Should be kind of clear where to go from there. ##x,y,z## are integers. ##2\sqrt{2015}## is irrational. Something else irrational must cancel it. What must it be?

Dick said:
Should be kind of clear where to go from there. ##x,y,z## are integers. ##2\sqrt{2015}## is irrational. Something else irrational must cancel it. What must it be?
But if it cancels it out wouldn't that make ##x=0## which I can't have?

youngstudent16 said:
But if it cancels it out wouldn't that make ##x=0## which I can't have?

There are only two things with can be irrational in your expression. What the other one? Equate them.

Likes youngstudent16
Dick said:
There are only two things with can be irrational in your expression. What the other one? Equate them.
Thank you I'm little tired so I just didn't understand what you said the first time even though it was clear. I got the correct answer now with that hint which is ##96##

youngstudent16 said:
Thank you I'm little tired so I just didn't understand what you said the first time even though it was clear. I got the correct answer now with that hint which is ##96##

You're welcome. But my argument why is pretty dodgy. If you want to be more rigorous, can you show that ##2015yz## must be a perfect square? What would that imply?

Last edited:

Related to {Number Theory} Smallest integer solution

1. What is the definition of "smallest integer solution" in number theory?

The smallest integer solution in number theory refers to the smallest positive integer value that satisfies a given equation or inequality. It is often denoted as the variable "n" in equations such as n > 0 or n = x + y, where x and y are other integers.

2. How do you find the smallest integer solution to an equation?

To find the smallest integer solution to an equation, you can use various methods such as trial and error, substitution, or solving for the variable. It is important to note that the solution must be a positive integer, so you may need to test multiple values until you find the smallest one that satisfies the equation.

3. Can there be more than one smallest integer solution to an equation?

No, there can only be one smallest integer solution to an equation. This is because the term "smallest" implies that there is no other positive integer value that is smaller and satisfies the equation. However, there may be multiple solutions that are equally small.

4. Are there any specific types of equations that have a unique smallest integer solution?

Yes, there are certain types of equations that have a unique smallest integer solution. These include linear Diophantine equations, which involve two or more variables and have integer solutions; and exponential equations, where the exponent is a positive integer. In general, an equation with a single variable and integer coefficients will also have a unique smallest integer solution.

5. Can the smallest integer solution to an equation be a negative number?

No, the smallest integer solution must be a positive number. This is because the term "smallest" implies that there is no other positive integer value that is smaller and satisfies the equation. If a negative number satisfies the equation, then it would not be the smallest solution.

Back