Number Theory: Unclear Explanation of Divisibility Question

In summary, the conversation is about a problem in number theory that asks to show that if n=161038, then n divides 2n - 2. The answer is provided, which involves verifying that n is divisible by 2, 73, and 1103. The person asking the question is trying to understand the reasoning behind this and is seeking clarification. They mention that the chapter they are working on is about the theorems of Fermat, Wilson, and Euler.
QIsReluctant
Hello,

The following problem appears in my number theory text:

Show that if n=161038, then n divides 2n - 2.

The answer:

It is easy to verify that n = 2 * 73 * 1103 and n - 1 = 32 * 29 * 617. Hence 2n-1 - 1 is divisible by 29 - 1 = 7 * 73 and by 229 - 1, which in turn is divisible by 1103. This is done more or less by brute force: 210=-79 mod 1103, so 220=726 mod 1103, and 229= 1 mod 1103. So 2n - 2 is divisible by 2, 73, and 1103, and hence it is divisible by n.

I have tried to trace the reasoning in reverse. I understand how we get to the finish (by showing that the number is divisible by all of the relatively prime factors of n, but I don't understand how we actually show divisibility by those factors. Can someone show me the light? This chapter is on the theorems of Fermat, Wilson, and Euler.

Physics news on Phys.org
No responses? Do I need to give some more information?

Related to Number Theory: Unclear Explanation of Divisibility Question

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers, or whole numbers. It is primarily concerned with understanding the nature of numbers and their patterns.

2. What is divisibility?

Divisibility is the property of one number being able to be divided evenly by another number without any remainder. In other words, a number is divisible by another number if the result of the division is a whole number.

3. What is an unclear explanation of a divisibility question?

An unclear explanation of a divisibility question is a question or statement that is not clearly defined or explained, making it difficult to understand or solve. This can lead to confusion or incorrect answers.

4. How can I improve my understanding of divisibility questions?

To improve your understanding of divisibility questions, it is important to have a strong foundation in basic number theory concepts such as prime numbers, factors, and multiples. It is also helpful to practice solving various types of divisibility questions and to seek clarification or additional explanations when needed.

5. How is number theory used in real life?

Number theory has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and engineering. It is also used in everyday life, such as in banking and finance, where it is used to ensure the security of transactions and protect against fraud.

Back