Numerical methods for engineers

In summary, If you are looking for the pseudocode for Newton-Raphson's method in MATLAB, you can find it in the Numerical Recipes website or book. Alternatively, you can also refer to the 1992 C book, specifically chapter 9. There is also a code available on the MathWorks website for finding the roots of Legendre polynomials using the traditional Newton-Raphson method.
rngz
where could i find the pseudocode for Newton raphson's method according to the MATLAB program??

Physics news on Phys.org
I've taken this class. If you give me a moment...nope I can't find it. I have a conjugate Graham-Schmidt, but no Newton Raphson. If you have access (or know someone who does) to the Numerical Recipes website or book, I'm sure that there is a routine in there for it.

I have the NR3 one written for polynomials but that code is copyrighted. Here is the 1992 C book. Go to chapter 9.

http://www.nrbook.com/a/bookcpdf.php

Thanks
Matt

FAQ: Numerical methods for engineers

1. What are numerical methods and why are they important for engineers?

Numerical methods are mathematical techniques used to solve complex engineering problems that cannot be solved analytically. These methods involve using algorithms and computer programming to obtain approximate solutions. They are important for engineers because they provide a way to analyze and solve real-world problems that cannot be solved using traditional analytical methods.

2. What are some common numerical methods used in engineering?

Some common numerical methods used in engineering include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and numerical integration methods. These methods are used for applications such as solving differential equations, optimizing designs, and simulating physical systems.

3. How do engineers determine the accuracy of a numerical solution?

Engineers can determine the accuracy of a numerical solution by comparing it to an analytical solution, if one exists. They can also use convergence analysis, which involves increasing the number of iterations or grid points in a numerical method to see how the solution changes. Additionally, engineers can perform sensitivity analysis to see how small changes in input parameters affect the solution.

4. What are the limitations of numerical methods in engineering?

Numerical methods are subject to errors and inaccuracies due to the use of approximations and rounding in the calculations. They can also be computationally expensive and time-consuming for complex problems. Additionally, numerical methods may not always provide a unique solution and may require further validation or verification.

5. How can engineers ensure the reliability of a numerical method?

Engineers can ensure the reliability of a numerical method by thoroughly testing and validating it against known solutions or experimental data. They can also use different numerical methods to compare results and determine the most accurate approach. Furthermore, engineers can implement error control techniques, such as adaptive mesh refinement, to improve the accuracy and efficiency of the method.