Numerically Solving a Second Order Differential Equation Using C

In summary: I then attempted to use Euler's Method to solve the system using the following algorithm:(2)x'(t+Δt)=x'+(u(b^2 + x^2)x'-x)*(Δt)x(t+Δt)=x+x'*Δtusing the following code:#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>#include <math.h>int main(int argc, char** argv) {double
Menninger

Homework Statement

The Second Order Differential Equation is:
x''-u(b^2 + x^2)x'+x=0

Initial Conditions are:
x(0)=1
x'(0)=0

It is to be numerically solved for 0<=t<=500. The specific numerical method to be used isn't specified, but it must be programmed into c.

As a means to check the answer, the problem specifies that for b=1 and u<<b, the solution is approximately: (1) x(t)=2cos(t), y(t)=-2sin(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke the second order equation up into two first order equations:
x'=x'
x''=u(b^2 + x^2)x'-x

Then I attempted to use Euler's Method to solve the system using the following algorithm:

(2)
x'(t+Δt)=x'+(u(b^2 + x^2)x'-x)*(Δt)
x(t+Δt)=x+x'*Δt

using the following code:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
double t, s, y, i; /* t is the time up to which the equation is to be approximated for
* s is the number of steps to be used to calculate the approximation
* y is time length of each step
* i is time concurrent with the beginning of each step */
double x, x1, x1a, b, u, x4, x5; /* x is the value of x at the beginning each step
* x1 is the value the derivate of x at each step
* x1a is a placeholder that holds onto to the value of x1
* at the end of each step until the initial value has been
* used in the calculation of the x value at the end of the step */
x=1;
x1=0;
printf("Enter the initial value of b: \n");
scanf("%lf",&b); /* Here the user defines the initial value of b */
printf("Enter the initial value of u: \n");
scanf("%lf",&u);/* Here the user defines the initial value of u */
printf("Enter the time up to which you wish to approximate the solution of the differential equation \n");
scanf("%lf",&t); /* Here the user defines the time up to which a solution is to be approximated */
printf("%f \n", t);
printf("Enter the number of steps you wish to use to produce the approximation: \n");
scanf("%lf",&s); /* Here the user defines the number of steps which are be used to produce the approximation*/
printf("%f \n", s);
y=t/s; /* Here the user defines the temporal duration of each step */
printf("%f \n", y);
printf("First Derivative: %f Value of Function: %f\n", x1, x);
for (i=0; i<=t; i=i+y) { /* This calculates the time at the beginning of each step,
* and it terminates the loop when the final time is reached */
printf("Time: %f First Derivative: %f %f Value of Function: %f %f\n", i, x1, x4, x, x5); /* This provides the approximated position x and its derivative at the beginning and end of each step */
x5=2*cos(i);
x4=-2*sin(i);
x1a=x1+(u*(pow(b, 2)-pow(x, 2))*x1-x)*y; /* This approximates the value of the derivative of x at the beginning of the next step */
x=x+x1*y; /* This approximates the a value of x at the beginning of the next step */
x1=x1a; /* This initializes the new derivate of x for the next step */
}
return(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

In my program (1) & (2) match in terms of periodicity, but (2) spirals outward.

Am I using the wrong technique? Do I need something more precise? And does my code accurately implement my algorithm?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you post code, it's considered good manners to put a [ code ] at the beginning and a [ /code ] tag at the end (without the extra spaces). I have done that, below, to make your code more readable.

Menninger said:

Homework Statement

The Second Order Differential Equation is:
x''-u(b^2 + x^2)x'+x=0

Initial Conditions are:
x(0)=1
x'(0)=0

It is to be numerically solved for 0<=t<=500. The specific numerical method to be used isn't specified, but it must be programmed into c.

As a means to check the answer, the problem specifies that for b=1 and u<<b, the solution is approximately: (1) x(t)=2cos(t), y(t)=-2sin(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke the second order equation up into two first order equations:
x'=x'
x''=u(b^2 + x^2)x'-x
The second equation above is not a first order DE. Also, your first equation is trivially true.

Your system of two first order equations should be the following:

y = x'
y' = u(b^2 + x^2)x' - x = u(b^2 + x^2)y - x
Menninger said:
Then I attempted to use Euler's Method to solve the system using the following algorithm:

(2)
x'(t+Δt)=x'+(u(b^2 + x^2)x'-x)*(Δt)
x(t+Δt)=x+x'*Δt

using the following code:
Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    double t, s, y, i; /* t is the time up to which the equation is to be approximated for
                        * s is the number of steps to be used to calculate the approximation
                        * y is time length of each step
                        * i is time concurrent with the beginning of each step  */
    double x, x1, x1a, b, u, x4, x5; /* x is the value of  x at the beginning each step
                        * x1 is the value the derivate of x at each step
                        * x1a is a placeholder that holds onto to the value of x1
                        * at the end of each step until the initial value has been 
                        * used in the calculation of the x value at the end of the step */ 
    x=1;
    x1=0;
    printf("Enter the initial value of b: \n");
    scanf("%lf",&b); /* Here the user defines the initial value of b */
    printf("Enter the initial value of u: \n");
    scanf("%lf",&u);/* Here the user defines the initial value of u */
    printf("Enter the time up to which you wish to approximate the solution of the differential equation \n");
    scanf("%lf",&t); /* Here the user defines the time up to which a solution is to be approximated */
    printf("%f \n", t);
    printf("Enter the number of steps you wish to use to produce the approximation: \n");
    scanf("%lf",&s); /* Here the user defines the number of steps which are be used to produce the approximation*/
    printf("%f \n", s);
    y=t/s; /* Here the user defines the temporal duration of each step */ 
    printf("%f \n", y);
    printf("First Derivative: %f Value of Function: %f\n", x1, x);
    for (i=0; i<=t; i=i+y) { /* This calculates the time at the beginning of each step,
        printf("Time: %f First Derivative: %f %f Value of Function: %f %f\n", i, x1, x4, x, x5); /* This provides the approximated position x and its derivative at the beginning and end of each step */
        x5=2*cos(i);
        x4=-2*sin(i);
        x1a=x1+(u*(pow(b, 2)-pow(x, 2))*x1-x)*y; /* This approximates the value of the derivative of x at the beginning of the next step */ 
        x=x+x1*y; /* This approximates the a value of x at the beginning of the next step */
        x1=x1a;   /* This initializes the new derivate of x for the next step */
    }
    return(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

In my program (1) & (2) match in terms of periodicity, but (2) spirals outward.

Am I using the wrong technique? Do I need something more precise? And does my code accurately implement my algorithm?

I didn't check that your implementation reflects the system - it wasn't clear to me that you were actually solving the right system (see my comments above).

Euler's method isn't all that precise, so even if your implementation is correct, it could that this method isn't producing accurate results once you get very far from your initial conditions. A method that is probably more precise is Runge-Kutta.

Programming tip: When you're squaring a number, it's more efficient to use multiplication than to use pow(). You won't notice a difference in your program, but it's something to keep in mind.

Word tip: there is no such word in English as "derivate".

I only made this mistake when presenting the problem here, and not in the code itself, but when presenting the differential equation here, I miswrote it as: x''-u(b^2 + x^2)x'+x=0 .

Actually it is: x''-u(b^2 - x^2)x'+x=0

For additional clarity, the problem is presented as follows:
2s8mnpt.jpg

However, my output is a circle about half that radius, that slowly spirals outwards. Setting u to 0 produces an indefinite circle of half the desired radius that otherwise is identical to the given steady state solution. Maybe the teacher miswrote the steady state solution?

Mark44 said:
When you post code, it's considered good manners to put a [ code ] at the beginning and a [ /code ] tag at the end (without the extra spaces). I have done that, below, to make your code more readable.

Will do, thanks!

The second equation above is not a first order DE. Also, your first equation is trivially true.

Your system of two first order equations should be the following:

y = x'
y' = u(b^2 + x^2)x' - x = u(b^2 + x^2)y - x

Thanks! However, best I can tell this doesn't alter my algorithm, it just changes the variable names.

I changed my algorithm to the following to attempt to see if it made a difference:
Code:
for (i=0; i<=t; i=i+h) { 
/* This calculates the time at the beginning of each step,
        printf("Time: %f First Derivative: %f %f Value of Function: %f %f\n", i, x1, x5, x, x4); 
/* This provides the approximated position x and its derivative at the beginning and end of each step */ 
        x4=2*cos(i);
        x5=-2*sin(i);
        y=x1;
        y1=(u*(b*b-x*x)*y-x); 
        y=y+y1*h;
        x=x+y*h;
        x1=y;
    }

However the output was the same.

Euler's method isn't all that precise, so even if your implementation is correct, it could that this method isn't producing accurate results once you get very far from your initial conditions. A method that is probably more precise is Runge-Kutta.

Thanks! Can you link me to what the algorithm should be in the event of there being changing variables other than y and t when using Runge-Kutta? I can do 4th Order to solve a single First Order DEQ. I am not sure how to do it when dealing with a system.

At anyrate, I tried using black box Runge-Kutta software, and the output was the same as my code produced.

316um8k.jpg

4rywza.jpg

2sb66x2.jpg

The radius of the circle is equal to the distance of the starting point from the origin (I think this is the right answer for part b, along with that a positive u will always cause the solution to spiral away from the steady state analog). So, as shown above, my teacher's solution works if you change the initial condition to a distance of 2.

Programming tip: When you're squaring a number, it's more efficient to use multiplication than to use pow(). You won't notice a difference in your program, but it's something to keep in mind.

Word tip: there is no such word in English as "derivate".

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry, I haven't done anything with numerical solutions to diff. equations for a long time, so I can't offer any guidance.

I would suggest using a more precise numerical method, such as the Runge-Kutta method, to solve this second order differential equation. Euler's method can lead to errors and inaccuracies, especially for longer time intervals.

In addition, it is important to carefully check your code and algorithm to ensure accuracy. It seems that there may be a mistake in your implementation, as the solution should not spiral outward.

I would also recommend checking your initial conditions and making sure they are correct, as well as checking your calculations for the derivative and function values at each step.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the numerical method and algorithm being used, as well as double-checking the code and initial conditions, in order to accurately solve this second order differential equation.

Related to Numerically Solving a Second Order Differential Equation Using C

1. How do I numerically solve a second order differential equation using C?

To numerically solve a second order differential equation using C, you will need to use a numerical integration method such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, or Adams-Bashforth method. These methods involve breaking down the differential equation into smaller steps and using iteration to approximate the solution. There are also libraries and packages available in C that can help with this process.

2. What is the difference between a first order and second order differential equation?

A first order differential equation involves only one derivative, while a second order differential equation involves two derivatives. This means that a second order differential equation will have a second derivative term in addition to a first derivative term and a constant term. Solving a second order differential equation can be more complex than solving a first order one.

3. Are there any limitations or restrictions when using numerical methods to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are limitations and restrictions when using numerical methods to solve differential equations. These include the step size used in the numerical integration, which can affect the accuracy of the solution, and the stability of the chosen method. Some equations may also require a very small step size, leading to longer computation times.

4. Can I use C to solve differential equations with variable coefficients?

Yes, C can be used to solve differential equations with variable coefficients. However, this may require additional coding and modifications to the numerical methods being used. Some methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, can handle variable coefficients more easily than others.

5. How do I know if my solution to a second order differential equation is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of your solution, you can compare it to an analytical solution if one is available. Additionally, you can vary the step size in your numerical method and see if the solution changes significantly. The smaller the step size, the more accurate the solution will be. You can also use error estimation methods to calculate the error in your solution.