Object on Inclined plane with Force applied and Friction

In summary, the Homework Statement is trying to determine the tension in a cable that will give a 50 kg block a steady acceleration of 2.0 m/s^2 up an incline.
Javier21

Homework Statement

Scroll down for pic related

Determine the tension
in the cable P that will give the 50 kg block a steady accelerationof 2.0 m/s^2 up the incline.

Homework Equations

Where am I going wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Fa=force applied

I calculated the DeltaF to be 100N
(F=ma, F=50(2), F=100)

I calculated the force normal to be 424.8N
(Fn=50*9.81cos30)

I calculate Fg in x direction to be 245.25
(50*9.81sin30)

I calculated Fres to be (106.7-0.125Fa)
Fa is moving opposite from the fg, so I figured less force needs to be canceled out by the Fn. Will depend on force applied.
(Fn-Fasin30)(u), (426.8-0.5Fa(.25))

Since the acceleration in upwards on the plane, both the Fg(x) and Fres will be resistive forces. The Fa thus will have to overcome both of these forces added together.

Everything included:

Fa-Fres-Fg(x)+Facos(∅)=0
100-245.25- (106.7-0.125Fa)+Facos30=0

145.25+(106.7-0.125Fa)/Cos30)=Fa

And I tried subsituting the values of the multiple choice answers for Fa, but none of them worked out correctly.

Thanks in advance.

XB3ypgE.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I calculated the force normal to be 424.8N
(Fn=50*9.81cos30)
That would be taking only the weight into account... doesn't the force P also have a normal component?

note: 30deg is a nice angle.

sin(30)=1/2 and cos(30)=sqrt(3)/2

Simon Bridge said:
That would be taking only the weight into account... doesn't the force P also have a normal component?

note: 30deg is a nice angle.

sin(30)=1/2 and cos(30)=sqrt(3)/2

I accounted for that during the force resistance in a later calculaton, see:

Note that I set P=Fa

I calculated Fres to be (106.7-0.125Fa)
Fa is moving opposite from the fg, so I figured less force needs to be canceled out by the Fn. Will depend on force applied.
(Fn-Fasin30)(u), (426.8-0.5Fa(.25)

But yeah I shouldn't have stated force normal that way. And yeah I know about specail traingles, could have simplified it more though I guess. Does the theory seem correct though? I think the angle isalso incorrect for the force applied in the normal direction.

And solving for Fa i get 289.2N

100-245.25-106.7/(-sqrt(3)/2)+0.125)=fa

Last edited:
No - the theory does not seem correct.

Probably because of the piece-meal approach making it difficult to tell what you have done... for you as well as me. You appear to have been trying to take each force separately and figuring what would oppose it and what would be needed to get it to do something else. That won't work.
The theory you are supposed to be using is ƩF=ma. You need to use all the forces in the ƩF.

Take it one step at a time.

Draw a free body diagram:
Look at everything that is pulling on the block - write a force for each one. Draw the arrows on the diagram.
Then work out how to orient your coordinate system, and resolve the off-axis forces against it.
Then sum the forces.

Otherwise you will miss stuff out.

Simon Bridge said:
No - the theory does not seem correct.

Probably because of the piece-meal approach making it difficult to tell what you have done... for you as well as me. You appear to have been trying to take each force separately and figuring what would oppose it and what would be needed to get it to do something else. That won't work.
The theory you are supposed to be using is ƩF=ma. You need to use all the forces in the ƩF.Take it one step at a time.

Draw a free body diagram:
Look at everything that is pulling on the block - write a force for each one. Draw the arrows on the diagram.
Then work out how to orient your coordinate system, and resolve the off-axis forces against it.
Then sum the forces.

Otherwise you will miss stuff out.

I figured it out. I was not aware that the Force P(when using a pully) acted parrel to the plane in addition to the cosine of the force P(1+cos∅). I also made algebraic mistake in placing the delta force in x direction on the same side as the other forces. Thanks for your help never the less, got me to research the topic more.

The force P also acts parallel because the rope pulls up the incline on both sides of the pulley :)
... if you went through it systematically, keeping track of the physics instead of the math, then you'd have seen it sooner.

Still - well done.

Related to Object on Inclined plane with Force applied and Friction

1. How does the applied force affect the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

The applied force determines the acceleration of the object on the inclined plane. If the force applied is greater than the force of friction, the object will accelerate down the plane. If the applied force is less than the force of friction, the object will either remain at rest or move at a constant velocity.

2. What role does friction play in the motion of an object on an inclined plane?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object and can either slow down or prevent the object from moving down the inclined plane. The amount of friction depends on the type of surface the object is on and the normal force exerted on the object.

3. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of an object?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the greater the force of gravity pulling the object down the plane. This results in a greater acceleration and a faster motion of the object. However, a steeper angle also means a greater force of friction, which can slow down the object.

4. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction in the context of an object on an inclined plane?

Static friction occurs when an object is at rest and the force applied is not enough to overcome the force of friction. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, occurs when an object is in motion and the force of friction is acting to slow down the object.

5. How can the net force on an object on an inclined plane be calculated?

The net force on an object on an inclined plane can be calculated using the equation Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object. The forces acting on the object, including the applied force and the force of friction, should also be taken into account when calculating the net force.