Objective function of a linear program with multiple variables

In summary: But still, I appreciate your help.In summary, the author is trying to find the objective function of a linear program, but is having trouble understanding the notation. Timo was able to help the author by providing a reference for another article that provides a more in-depth explanation of the notation. The author thanks Timo and Ibix for their time.
Yassineon
Hello,
Please I need help to find the objective function of a linear program (attachement : example).
I tried to figure it out from the formula provided in (attachement : formula) but I couldn't understand it, it's written (MIN(lambda)wj) I think it's the key to my question ! ( Full file is attached too )
Any help as little as it could be, would be most welcomed!
Thanks in advance.

Moderator's note: Copyrighted article removed. Instead, here is the reference:
V. Vamitha et al., International Journal of Fuzzy Mathematics and Systems 2(3), 217-230 (2012)

Attachments

• Formula (page 6).PNG
    Formula (page 6).PNG
    7.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Example (Page 9).PNG
    Example (Page 9).PNG
    9.2 KB · Views: 183
Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with the notation around the min_lambda w_j ... . But given the statement starts with "for each j" and contains only one w_j the only sensible way to read this for me is "for each j, find a joint solution for w_j and the lambda_jk that minimizes w_j and obeys the additional constraints mentioned."

Thank you Very much Timo for your help, I appreciate it.
But I'm still confused about the objective function formula ...

I'm also struggling with the notation, but it looks to me like you haven't shown us the objective function. They equations in the images all look like constraints to me - they're inequalities. The objective function looks to me to be ##w_j##, which is presumably defined somewhere. Although defining constraints in terms of the objective function seems odd to me.

You don't have a link to the paper? A copy on arxiv.org, maybe?

If the objective is to minimize wj then suitable objective functions would be "f(wj) = wj", "f(wj) = 1.0 * wj" or "f(wj, {lambda_jk}) = 1.0 * wj + 0.0 * lambda_j1 + 0.0 * lambda_j2 + ...".

Thanks Timo for your response, well I already tried that objective function and tried also "0.0 * wj ..+ 1.0 * lambda_j1 + 1.0 * lambda_j2 + + 1.0 * lambda_j3 + 1.0 * lambda_j4 ". but couldn't get the same solution of the paper (((lambda's estimators for the inequalities that I posted are the 4th row of the solution attached)))
so it seems that it's another objective function.

Attachments

• Solution.png
    Solution.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 162
Possibly. It could also be that there are multiple values for the lambda that lead to the same wj. Are your wj correct? Another option is that you made an error somewhere. I recommend to
1) Manually check that your solution satisfies the constraints. lambda>0 and sum(lambda)=1 can be seen directly from just looking at the numbers (-> the solution of the paper satisfies them); the other two relations are at least simple to verify.
2) Verify that you have the same Xj and B as the paper. On first glance, they are not explicitly given by the paper. So double-check your calculations.

And of course the paper could be wrong.

I really appreciate you help Timo, thanks a lot. for the points that you mentionned :

1) I didn't get lambda's that sum up to 1, I got some odd values, so I removed them all.
2) Yes that's the problem the paper tries to aggregate the results so they removed important steps for the solution, I was able to rewrite the other coefficients in the inequalities following the steps mentionned by the paper, but unfortunately I got different results.

As you said nothing proves that their results are right !

Related to Objective function of a linear program with multiple variables

1. What is an objective function in a linear program with multiple variables?

An objective function is a mathematical expression that represents the goal or objective of a linear program with multiple variables. It is typically a linear function that is to be maximized or minimized in order to find the optimal solution to the problem.

2. How is the objective function determined in a linear program with multiple variables?

The objective function is determined based on the specific problem or scenario being modeled. It is usually derived from the constraints and variables of the linear program and represents the quantity that needs to be optimized.

3. Can the objective function have more than one variable in a linear program?

Yes, the objective function in a linear program can have multiple variables. This allows for more complex and realistic problems to be solved, as the objective may depend on multiple factors or quantities.

4. What is the difference between a maximization and minimization objective function in a linear program?

A maximization objective function seeks to find the highest possible value for the objective, while a minimization objective function seeks to find the lowest possible value. The choice between maximization and minimization depends on the specific problem being solved.

5. How is the optimal solution determined in a linear program with multiple variables?

The optimal solution is determined by finding the values of the variables that maximize or minimize the objective function while satisfying all of the constraints. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as the simplex method or graphical analysis.