Oblique asymptotes - What am I doing wrong?

• Thread starter jachyra
  • Start date
In summary, the limit of the given function as x approaches infinity is -2x - 2. This can be shown by performing long division and observing that the term involving x approaches zero. However, a different approach using multiplication and division of the original function yields a different result due to the contribution of the denominator to the constant term. This difference results in the limit being -2x - 4 instead of -2x - 2.
jachyra
f(x) = (2x^3 + 4x^2 - x + 1) / (-x^2 - x + 2)

The limit of this function as x approaches infinity is the oblique asymptote f(x) = -2x - 2
This can be verified by performing long division with the two polynomials to get:

f(x) = -2x -2 + (x +5)/(-x^2 - x + 2)
as x -> infinity, the term (x +5)/(-x^2 - x + 2) -> zero

Now my question is why does the following not work:

f(x) = (2x^3 + 4x^2 - x + 1)/(-x^2 - x + 2) * (1/x^2)/(1/x^2)

f(x) = (2x + 4 - 1/x + 1/x^2) / (-1 - 1/x + 2/x^2)

lim f(x) as x -> infinity should then be -2x - 4 because all other terms approach zero as x gets larger and larger right?

why is this wrong? I am so confused... I thought the answers should have been the same!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The denominator in your expression makes a contribution to the constant term.
1/(-1-1/x)~-1+1/x. Therefore f(x)~(2x+4)(-1+1/x)~(-2x-4)+(2+4/x)~-2x-2

There could be a few reasons why your approach did not yield the same result. One possibility is that there may have been a mistake in your long division or simplification of the fractions. Another possibility is that the algebraic manipulation you performed may have changed the original function in some way. It is important to keep in mind that when manipulating equations, we need to ensure that the resulting equation is equivalent to the original one.

Additionally, it is important to note that when finding the oblique asymptote, we are looking at the behavior of the function as x approaches infinity, not just at a specific value of x. So even if your approach gave the same result for a particular value of x, it may not be accurate for the overall behavior of the function.

In general, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you are following the correct steps when solving math problems. If you are still unsure about why your approach did not work, it may be helpful to ask a teacher or tutor for clarification.

FAQ: Oblique asymptotes - What am I doing wrong?

What are oblique asymptotes?

Oblique asymptotes are slanted or diagonal lines that a graph approaches but never touches. They occur when the function approaches a non-zero value as x approaches positive or negative infinity.

How do I find oblique asymptotes?

To find oblique asymptotes, you need to determine the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the limit is a finite value, then the line y=mx+b, where m is the limit and b is the y-intercept, is the oblique asymptote.

What does it mean if a function has no oblique asymptotes?

If a function has no oblique asymptotes, it means that the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity is either infinite or does not exist. In this case, the function may still have horizontal or vertical asymptotes.

Can a function have more than one oblique asymptote?

Yes, a function can have more than one oblique asymptote. This can happen when the function has multiple branches or when the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity is a different finite value for each branch.

What are some common mistakes when dealing with oblique asymptotes?

Some common mistakes when dealing with oblique asymptotes include forgetting to check for oblique asymptotes, using the wrong formula for finding the oblique asymptote, and miscalculating the limit of the function.