Oblique collision involving two spheres

In summary: Anyway, if u is not u1 but instead is the speed of the first mass at the time of impact, then the equations would be as follows: 4u1 + m(0) = 4v1 + mv2 .... mv2 = 4u1 - 4v1Which is the same as saying that the m-sphere moves on the i axis and the 4kg sphere moves on the j axis.
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

A smooth sphere of mass 4 kg collides obliquely with another smooth sphere of mass m which is at rest.After impact the two spheres move at right angles to each other.If the coefficient of restitution was (4/7), calculate the value of m.

Homework Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2

(v1 - v2)/(u1 - u2) = -e

The Attempt at a Solution

i is the horizontal unit vector,where i is along the line of the centres(of the spheres) at impact
j is vertical unit vector

since i is along there centres j is unchanged before and after the impact

conservation of momentum along the i axis

4u1 + m(0) = 4v1 + mv2 ... mv2 = 4u1 - 4v1

(v1 -v2)/(u1) = -4/7

I'm not sure what to do from here, I'd assume its something to do with them being at right angles after the impact?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Woolyabyss! :smile:
Woolyabyss said:
i is the horizontal unit vector,where i is along the line of the centres(of the spheres) at impact

No, the collision is oblique, which means that the initial velocity is not parallel to the line between the centres on contact. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Woolyabyss! :smile:

No, the collision is oblique, which means that the initial velocity is not parallel to the line between the centres on contact. :wink:

For the previous oblique collision questions I've done in my book.It says the i axis is between the centres at impact.

Since the m-sphere was at rest initially and the exchange of momentum happens only along i, what is the direction of its velocity after impact? What is the direction of the other sphere then? What can be said about its velocity in the i-direction?

the i axis is wherever you choose it to be!

in this case the initially moving ball was not moving parallel to the i axis (the line between the centres at impact)

voko said:
Since the m-sphere was at rest initially and the exchange of momentum happens only along i, what is the direction of its velocity after impact? What is the direction of the other sphere then? What can be said about its velocity in the i-direction?

Would that mean the m sphere moves on the i axis and the 4kg sphere move on the j axis( meaning the 4kg sphere would have 0 momentum in the i direction)? EDIT (this is after the collision)

voko said:

Ya I just worked it out there.

conservation of momentum along the i axis.

m(0) + 4u = mv + 4(0) ...... v = 4u/m

(0 - v)/(u-0) = - 4/7 ... v =4u/7

4u/m = 4u/7

m = 7

this is the answer at the back of my book thanks for the help.

hold on … that's not oblique!

start again, with the initial velocity at angle θ to the i axis :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hold on … that's not oblique!

start again, with the initial velocity at angle θ to the i axis :wink:
Woolyabyss never actually defined u. You seem to be assuming it's defined as the speed of the first mass, but that would make several errors in Woolyabyss' equations. With a suitable different definition it all works.

Related to Oblique collision involving two spheres

1. What is an oblique collision involving two spheres?

An oblique collision involving two spheres is a type of collision where two spheres, or round objects, collide with each other at an angle.

2. How is the angle of collision calculated?

The angle of collision is calculated using the Law of Cosines, which takes into account the initial velocities, masses, and angles of the two spheres.

3. What happens to the kinetic energy of the spheres after the collision?

The kinetic energy of the spheres is conserved during an oblique collision. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

4. Are there any real-life applications of oblique collisions involving spheres?

Yes, oblique collisions involving spheres are commonly seen in sports such as billiards and pool. They are also important in the study of particle physics and in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules.

5. How does the angle of collision affect the outcome of the collision?

The angle of collision can affect the outcome of the collision by changing the direction and speed of the spheres after the collision. In some cases, the spheres may stick together after the collision, while in others they may bounce off each other at different angles.