Oblique Impact of Smooth Spheres

In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of two spheres, one with mass m and the other with mass M, where the coefficient of restitution between them is e. The question is how to show that if m=eM, the directions of motion after impact are at right angles. The conversation includes equations and attempts to solve the problem using parallel and perpendicular components, but the exact solution is not provided.
SpartaGhost
Hey, I'm struggling with this question, any help would be great.

A sphere of mass m impinges obliquely on a sphere of mass M, which is at rest. The coefficient of restitution between the spheres is e. Show that if m=eM, the directions of motion after impact are at right angles

My attempt was:

mUcosα = mV1 + MV2 (1)
V2-V1 = e(Ucosα) (2)

since m=eM
=> eMcosα = eMV1 + Mv2 then /m

so subtracting the equations gives
eUcosα = eV1 + V2
- eUcosα = V2 - V1

=> 0 = eV1 + V1
e = -1

which is where I just don't understand what to do now :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you want to show that " the directions of motion after impact are at right angles" you had better work with the directions of motion hadn't you? Yet, I see no indication of x or y components. You see to be treating V1 and V2 as numbers- that is, assuming the two masses move in a straight line.

Hi, I used the parallel and perpendicular components and yeah the masses move in a linear direction.

Related to Oblique Impact of Smooth Spheres

1. What is oblique impact of smooth spheres?

Oblique impact of smooth spheres refers to the collision between two smooth, spherical objects at an angle that is not perpendicular or parallel to the surface of either object.

2. How is the velocity of the spheres affected during an oblique impact?

The velocity of the spheres is affected by both the angle of impact and the elasticity of the objects. Generally, the velocity of the spheres will be partially transferred to the other object during the collision.

3. What factors influence the outcome of an oblique impact?

The outcome of an oblique impact can be influenced by various factors, including the initial velocity and mass of the objects, the angle of impact, and the elasticity of the objects.

4. What are some real-world applications of oblique impact of smooth spheres?

Oblique impact of smooth spheres has many applications in physics and engineering, such as in ballistics, sports, and impact testing of materials. It can also be seen in everyday situations, such as when two billiard balls collide at an angle.

5. How is the coefficient of restitution related to oblique impact of smooth spheres?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of two colliding objects. In oblique impact of smooth spheres, the coefficient of restitution plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of the collision and the amount of energy transferred between the objects.