Observational astrophysics reference for math/physics major

In summary: Your name]In summary, the conversation is about a math major who wants to learn more about astrophysics, particularly how scientists deduce quantities like the mass of a galaxy and the age of the universe from observational data. This process involves a combination of observational data, theoretical models, and the law of gravity. Techniques such as measuring the expansion rate of the universe and the ages of the oldest stars are used to determine the age of the universe. The speaker encourages the forum member to continue exploring and asking questions about astrophysics.
krb17
Hi all,

I'm a math major with decent training in physics (through quantum and statmech), and I'd like to learn more about astrophysics. Not so much the theoretical cosmology kind of stuff, though, as how scientists take observational data and deduce things like "the mass of the galaxy" or how old the universe is. Right now it's beyond my imaginative capacity to understand how that kind of quantity could be deduced, and I'd like to get more of an idea.

Hopefully my intent is clear enough; if not, please help me be clearer. Thanks for your help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org

It's great to hear that you are interested in learning more about astrophysics! As a scientist in the field, I can tell you that the process of deducing things like the mass of a galaxy or the age of the universe is a complex and fascinating one. It involves a combination of observational data, theoretical models, and advanced mathematical techniques.

To start, observational data is collected from various instruments such as telescopes and satellites. This data includes measurements of the positions, velocities, and spectra of objects in the universe. Scientists then use this data to create models and simulations that represent the behavior of these objects. These models are constantly refined and tested against new data to ensure their accuracy.

One of the key principles in astrophysics is the law of gravity, which governs the motion of objects in the universe. By studying the gravitational interactions between objects, scientists can determine their masses. For example, the mass of a galaxy can be calculated by observing the orbits of stars and other objects within it.

In terms of determining the age of the universe, scientists use a variety of techniques such as measuring the expansion rate of the universe and the ages of the oldest known stars. By combining these different measurements, scientists can estimate the age of the universe with a high degree of accuracy.

I hope this helps to give you a better understanding of how astrophysicists deduce quantities like the mass of a galaxy and the age of the universe. There is still much to learn and discover in this field, and I encourage you to continue exploring and asking questions. Best of luck in your studies!

Related to Observational astrophysics reference for math/physics major

1. What is observational astrophysics?

Observational astrophysics is a branch of astrophysics that involves studying and analyzing celestial objects and phenomena through observations using telescopes and other instruments.

2. What kind of math and physics skills are needed for this field?

A solid foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and statistics is essential for observational astrophysics. Additionally, understanding of electromagnetism and optics is necessary for working with telescopes and other instruments.

3. What are some common techniques used in observational astrophysics?

Some common techniques used in observational astrophysics include spectroscopy, photometry, and imaging. Spectroscopy involves analyzing the light emitted or absorbed by celestial objects to determine their chemical composition and physical properties. Photometry measures the intensity of light from objects. Imaging uses telescopes and cameras to capture images of celestial objects.

4. How do observational astrophysicists collect and analyze data?

Observational astrophysicists use a variety of instruments, such as telescopes and spectrographs, to collect data from celestial objects. This data is then analyzed using mathematical and statistical methods to extract meaningful information and make conclusions about the objects being studied.

5. What are some current topics of research in observational astrophysics?

Some current topics of research in observational astrophysics include the study of exoplanets, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the nature of dark matter and dark energy. Other areas of interest include the search for gravitational waves and the study of the early universe through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation.