Observed Redshift Variation Over TIme

In summary, the conversation discusses the recent observation of G2's orbit around the black hole at the center of the galaxy, which showed a change in direction and corresponding redshift to blueshift. The speaker is looking for specific documentation of this behavior in other objects, such as binary stars, and mentions finding a catalog of optical binaries but still searching for documentation on non-optical binaries. The conversation also touches on the directional dependence of measuring redshift and the ease of measuring the rotation and rotational velocity of distant galaxies using doppler shifts.
bitznbitez
Gold Member
Recently we got to watch G2 as its orbit took it around the black hole at the center of the galaxy. This showed a visual change in direction along with a corresponding redshift to blue shift change on a relatively short timeline. It was really a great event.

Binary stars exhibit the same behavior but where are specific instances of this documented ? I have been unable to locate a catalog binary stars and their orbital periods. I'm sure it exists but all my googles dredge up are generic explanations devoid of any specific named pairs.

Are there any other objects besides G1/2 at galactic center, and binary stars, that we have been able to a change in direction and change in redshift ?

Likes Obenswan
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Getting a measurable change in redshift of an orbiting body is directionally dependent - the perpendicularity of the orbital plane to our line of sight being a relevant factor. We can, however, measure the direction of rotation and rotatational velocity of fairly distant galaxies rather easily using doppler shifts. See http://astro.berkeley.edu/~mwhite/darkmatter/rotcurve.html for discussion.

Yes you are correct it is directionally dependent and that is what I was hoping to find. With G2 that's what we witnessed a directional change and a corresponding redshift change. I'm sure studies of orbital pairs have been done I just can't find them.

I'll keep looking and thanks for the link.

Related to Observed Redshift Variation Over TIme

1. What is redshift variation over time?

Redshift variation over time refers to the observed change in the wavelength of light from a distant object, such as a galaxy, over a period of time. This change in wavelength is caused by the expansion of the universe and is used to measure the distance and age of the object.

2. How is redshift variation over time measured?

Redshift variation over time is measured using a spectrograph, which separates light into its component wavelengths. The observed change in the wavelength of light is compared to the known wavelength of a specific element, such as hydrogen, to determine the amount of redshift.

3. What causes redshift variation over time?

The main cause of redshift variation over time is the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, the wavelength of light is stretched, resulting in a longer wavelength and a shift towards the red end of the spectrum. This can also be affected by the relative motion of the object and the observer.

4. What can redshift variation over time tell us about the universe?

Redshift variation over time can tell us about the age and expansion rate of the universe. By measuring the amount of redshift, we can determine the distance to a distant object and use this information to calculate the expansion rate of the universe. This can also provide evidence for the theory of the Big Bang and the overall structure of the universe.

5. How does redshift variation over time relate to the Doppler effect?

Redshift variation over time is related to the Doppler effect, which describes the change in the observed wavelength of light due to relative motion between the source of the light and the observer. In the case of redshift variation over time, the expansion of the universe is causing the relative motion between the source and the observer, resulting in a redshift. However, the Doppler effect can also occur due to the motion of the object itself, which can cause a blueshift or redshift depending on the direction of motion.

Back