Observing the Stark Effect in the Lab: Visible to the Eye?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Stark effect experiment and its visibility to the naked eye. While it is not visible to the eye, it can be observed with a spectrometer and a camera with high exposures. The success of the experiment also depends on factors such as the sample, resolution of the spectrometer, and the strength of the applied field. Some papers have reported shifts of around 6 angstroms in early balmer lines. There is a demonstration experiment of the Stark effect in the Deutsches Museum in Munich, where the effect can be seen without a camera.
amalmirando
has somebody carried out stark effect experiment in the lab?
is the effect visible to the eye or is it necessary to keep long exposures of the CCD to observe the effect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, to begin with: Stark did it.

No, it's not visible to the eye. But I don't see why you would use a CCD.

i tried did the experiment and nothing happened with the field on and off. i used an ordinary digital camera with the maximum exposure but still not a thing happened.

amalmirando said:
i tried did the experiment and nothing happened with the field on and off. i used an ordinary digital camera with the maximum exposure but still not a thing happened.

Why would you expect to see anything? I doubt very much a digital camera could distinguish the relatively minuscule shifts caused by the Stark effect. You need to use a spectrometer.

please forgive me. all the while i was using the spectrometer and it's the observation part beyond that i was referring to.i guess i mistyped a lot...my question should be corrected as "after getting the spectrum through the spectrometer, would i be able to witness the splittings with the naked eye? or do i need a camera with high exposures?"

Guessing at why it did not work without knowing details is complicated.

What is your "sample"? Atoms? Molecules? Heterostructures? What is the resolution of your spectrometer? How large are your fields? Do you have an estimate of how large the shift should be in your case?

Cthugha said:
Guessing at why it did not work without knowing details is complicated.

What is your "sample"? Atoms? Molecules? Heterostructures? What is the resolution of your spectrometer? How large are your fields? Do you have an estimate of how large the shift should be in your case?

well ,first i used an ordinary hydrogen discharge tube but it's intensity was very weak .therefore i used a helium discharge tube. the field was provided by a rhumkorff induction coil estimated to yield around 50kv.some papers have reported the shifts in early balmer lines to be around 6 angstroms...

If I remember correctly, there is a demonstration experiment of the Stark effect in the "Deutsches Museum" in Munich. The spectrum is displayed on a screen, but I would say that the effect is strong enough to be seen also without a camera.

DrDu said:
The spectrum is displayed on a screen, but I would say that the effect is strong enough to be seen also without a camera.

thanks for the tip

still, is there somebody who has done the experiment?
i have attached an image of my apparatus...

Attachments

• DSCN1890.JPG
    DSCN1890.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 433

Related to Observing the Stark Effect in the Lab: Visible to the Eye?

1. What is the Stark Effect?

The Stark Effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of an external electric field. This phenomenon was first observed by physicist Johannes Stark in 1913.

2. How is the Stark Effect observed in the lab?

In the lab, the Stark Effect can be observed by using a spectrometer to measure the spectral lines of a gas or plasma sample in the presence of an external electric field. The changes in the spectral lines can then be analyzed to determine the strength of the electric field.

3. What is the significance of observing the Stark Effect?

The Stark Effect has important applications in various fields such as spectroscopy, plasma physics, and astrophysics. It allows us to study the properties of atoms and molecules in external electric fields and gain a better understanding of their behavior.

4. Can the Stark Effect be observed with the naked eye?

Yes, the Stark Effect can be observed with the naked eye if the external electric field is strong enough to cause a significant splitting of the spectral lines. However, using specialized equipment such as a spectrometer allows for more precise measurements.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Stark Effect?

Yes, the Stark Effect has been observed in various real-world scenarios such as in the spectra of stars and other astronomical objects, in gas discharge tubes used in lighting, and in plasma experiments in fusion reactors. It is also utilized in technologies such as laser cooling and precision atomic clocks.