Obtain 8th Degree Taylor Polynomial for Sqrt(x) with Mathematica

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Taylor
In summary, In order to obtain with the aid of Mathematica, say, an 8-th degree Taylor polynomial of \sqrt{x} centered at 4 , I use the following command:Normal[Series[Sqrt[x], {x, 4, 8}]]and I get the following:\sqrt{x} \approx 2 + \frac{1}{2^2} \left( x-4 \right) - \frac{1}{2^6} \left( x-4 \right) ^2 + \frac{1}{2^9} \left( x-4 \right) ^3 -
DivGradCurl
In order to obtain with the aid of Mathematica, say, an 8-th degree Taylor polynomial of [tex] \sqrt{x} [/tex] centered at [tex] 4 [/tex], I use the following command:

Normal[Series[Sqrt[x], {x, 4, 8}]]

and I get

[tex] \sqrt{x} \approx 2 + \frac{1}{2^2} \left( x - 4 \right) - \frac{1}{2^6} \left( x - 4 \right) ^2 + \frac{1}{2^9} \left( x - 4 \right) ^3 - \frac{5}{2^{14}} \left( x - 4 \right) ^4 + \frac{7}{2^{17}} \left( x - 4 \right) ^5 - \frac{3\cdot 7}{2^{21}} \left( x - 4 \right) ^6 + \frac{3\cdot 11}{2^{24}} \left( x - 4 \right) ^7 - \frac{3\cdot 11 \cdot 13}{2^{30}} \left( x - 4 \right) ^8 [/tex]

This is ok, but what I really need is to write the series in sigma notation. Unfortunately, its pattern is not obvious, although I tried to find it by factoring the coefficients and also browsed the help of Mathematica. Anyway, does anyone know a command that gives it?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
are you trying to find a Mathematica command to do that in general, or do you just need that particular function? Couldn't you type in the general definition of the nth Taylor function term?

Why don't you just use Taylor's theorem? The coefficients will have a product of odd numbers in the numerator and a factorial in the denominator.
Mathematica is fine for doing math, but not as helpful for learning math. Do some of the work yourself.

I see what you mean:

[tex] \sum _{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{f^{(n)}(a)}{n!}(x-a)^n [/tex]

and yes, I know how to take the derivatives and get to the same place that Mathematica got me. The problem is finding the pattern for the n-th term so that I can write the series in sigma notation. I tried to obtain it by factoring the coefficients, though. Then, the only alternative I have is to ask about a command that would give me this. The pattern is not obvious, and I spent quite some time working on it myself. Thanks, anyway.

Doing it by hand, though, suggests a more intelligent way to organize the product than simply looking at the resulting number and factoring it.

So all you need now is the general form of the nth derivative of square root. Just start writing them out. You'll see the pattern right away.

I can now see... this is what I've got:

[tex] \sqrt{x} = 2 + \frac{1}{4} \left( x-4 \right) + \sum _{n=2} ^{\infty} \left( -1 \right)^{n+1} \frac{1\cdot 3 \cdot 5 \cdots \cdot \left( 2n-3 \right)}{n!2^{3n-1}} \left( x-4 \right)^n [/tex]

thanks

And as a final trick, notice that:

1 * 3 * 5 * 7 = 1 * 2 * ... * 8 / (2 * 4 * 6 * 8)
= 1 * 2 * ... * 8 / (1 * 2 * 3 * 4 * 2^4)

Related to Obtain 8th Degree Taylor Polynomial for Sqrt(x) with Mathematica

1. What is an 8th degree Taylor polynomial?

An 8th degree Taylor polynomial is a polynomial function that approximates a given function up to the 8th degree. It is calculated using the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are derived from the function's derivatives at a single point.

2. How is the 8th degree Taylor polynomial for Sqrt(x) calculated with Mathematica?

To obtain the 8th degree Taylor polynomial for Sqrt(x) with Mathematica, you can use the Series function with the argument Sqrt(x) and specify the degree as 8. This will output the polynomial in terms of powers of x.

3. Why is it useful to calculate the 8th degree Taylor polynomial for Sqrt(x)?

The 8th degree Taylor polynomial for Sqrt(x) can be useful for approximating the value of the square root function at a given point. It can also be used to approximate the behavior of the function near that point, which can be helpful in understanding the behavior of more complex functions.

4. Can the 8th degree Taylor polynomial for Sqrt(x) be used to calculate the exact value of the square root function?

No, the Taylor polynomial is an approximation and will not give the exact value of the square root function. However, as the degree of the polynomial increases, the approximation becomes more accurate.

5. What are some limitations of using the 8th degree Taylor polynomial for Sqrt(x)?

One limitation is that the Taylor polynomial is only accurate near the point at which it is calculated. It may not accurately represent the behavior of the function at points further away. Additionally, the degree of the polynomial may need to be increased to get a more accurate approximation, which can be computationally intensive.