Obtain Expression For Voltage Across Capacitor

In summary, a voltage source with a given function is connected to a series RC load with specific values for R and C. Using KVL, an expression for the voltage across the capacitor can be obtained. Using Ohm's law for phasor values, an expression for the current is found and used to calculate the voltage across the capacitor. A previous mistake in converting from rectangular to polar coordinates led to an incorrect answer, but after correcting it, the known answer was obtained.
Captain1024

Homework Statement

A voltage source given by ##v_s(t)=25cos(2\pi\times10^3t-30^\circ)## is connected to a series RC load. If R = 1MOhm and C = 200pF, obtain an expression for ##v_c(t)##, the voltage across the capacitor.

Answer known to be: ##v_c(t)=15.57cos(2\pi\times10^3t-81.5^\circ)##

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

By KVL: ##25\angle-30^\circ=RI+\frac{1}{j\omega C}I##

##\Rightarrow\ 25\angle-30^\circ=I(R-\frac{j}{\omega C})##

##\Rightarrow\ I=\frac{25\angle-30^\circ}{R-\frac{j}{\omega C}}##

Plugging in values: ##I=1.95\times10^{-5}\angle-68.52^\circ##

Now, my thinking was that Ohm's law works for phasor impedances: ##V_c=IZ##, where ##Z=\frac{1}{j\omega C}##. However, that yielded an answer with the same magnitude as the current I found above. What am I missing?

Thanks
-Captain1024

Physics news on Phys.org
Your current magnitude looks about right, but the phase angle looks off to me. Check your math on that.

Ohm's law does indeed work for phasor values.

I redid the math. The angle of the current should be positive 8.52 deg. Then, earlier I made the mistake of trusting my calculator to convert rec to polar. I did it by hand with the correct current and got the right answer. Thanks for the guidance.

-Captain1024

Related to Obtain Expression For Voltage Across Capacitor

What is the formula for calculating the voltage across a capacitor?

The formula for calculating the voltage across a capacitor is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage in volts, Q is the charge in coulombs, and C is the capacitance in farads.

How do you derive the expression for voltage across a capacitor?

The expression for voltage across a capacitor can be derived from the definition of capacitance, which is C = Q/V. By rearranging this equation, we get V = Q/C, which is the formula for voltage across a capacitor.

What units are used for voltage, charge, and capacitance?

Voltage is measured in volts (V), charge is measured in coulombs (C), and capacitance is measured in farads (F).

What factors affect the voltage across a capacitor?

The voltage across a capacitor is affected by the amount of charge stored on the capacitor, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the external voltage applied to the capacitor.

Can the voltage across a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the voltage across a capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the capacitor is connected in reverse polarity, or when the external voltage applied is greater than the voltage stored on the capacitor.