Obtaining spherical coordinates by rotations

In summary, the conversation discusses the equivalence of a point on a unit sphere given in spherical coordinates to a point obtained by rotating the Cartesian coordinates (1,0,0) around the y-axis and z-axis. The expert explains the calculation for rotation and concludes that the two points are equivalent. The conversation also mentions the coordinate transformation from spherical to Cartesian coordinates.
Niles
Hi

Say I have a point on a unit sphere, given by the spherical coordinate $(r=1, \theta, \phi)$. Is this point equivalent to the point that one can obtain by $(x,y,z)=(1,0,0)$ around the $y$-axis by an angle $\pi/2-\theta$ and around the $z$-axis by the angle $\phi$?

I'm not sure this is the case, since the spherical coordinate $\phi$ is merely a projection, but I would like to hear your opinion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Rotation about the y-axis through an angle [itex]\pi/2- \theta[/itex] can be calculated by multiplying the position vector of the point by the matrix
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\pi/2- \theta) & 0 & -sin(\pi/2- \theta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ sin(\pi/2- \theta & 0 & cos(\pi/2- \theta)\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
Of course, [tex]cos(\pi/2- \theta)= sin(\theta)[/tex] and [tex]sin(\pi/2- \theta)= cos(\theta)[/tex] so that is
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}sin(\theta) & 0 & -cos(\theta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ cos(\theta) & 0 & sin(\theta) \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and rotation through angle [itex]\phi[/itex] about the z axis is given by
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\phi) & -sin(\phi) & 0 \\ sin(\phi) & cos(\phi) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So starting from (1, 0, 0) and rotating as you say, you have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\phi) & -sin(\phi) & 0 \\ sin(\phi) & cos(\phi) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}sin(\theta) & 0 & -cos(\theta) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ cos(\theta) & 0 & sin(\theta) \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}cos(\phi) & - sin(\phi) & 0 \\ sin(\phi) & cos(\phi) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}sin(\theta) \\ 0 \\ cos(\theta) \end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Of course, in polar coordinates, [tex]x= cos(\phi)sin(\theta)[/tex], [tex]y= sin(\phi)sin(\theta)[/tex], [tex]z= cos(\theta)[/tex] is just the usual coordinates with x and y reversed. That is, your two rotations swap the x and y axes.

Niles said:
Hi

Say I have a point on a unit sphere, given by the spherical coordinate $(r=1, \theta, \phi)$. Is this point equivalent to the point that one can obtain by $(x,y,z)=(1,0,0)$ around the $y$-axis by an angle $\pi/2-\theta$ and around the $z$-axis by the angle $\phi$?

I'm not sure this is the case, since the spherical coordinate $\phi$ is merely a projection, but I would like to hear your opinion.
The coordinate transformation from spherical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates is given by ##(r,\theta,\varphi)\rightarrow(r\sin\theta\cos\varphi,r\sin\theta\sin \varphi,r\cos\theta)##.

Thanks for your help, yeah, I guess I should just have rotated the coordinate myself to see that indeed that is how a spherical point is obtained. Thanks again.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. Obtaining spherical coordinates by rotations can be a bit tricky, but let me try to explain it to you.

First, let's define what spherical coordinates are. They are a system of coordinates used to locate points on a sphere using two angles - $\theta$ and $\phi$ - and a distance, $r$, from the origin. The angle $\theta$ measures the angle between the positive $z$-axis and the point, while $\phi$ measures the angle between the positive $x$-axis and the projection of the point onto the $xy$-plane.

Now, to answer your question, let's look at the rotation around the $y$-axis first. This rotation does indeed change the value of $\theta$, as it rotates the point around the $y$-axis. However, it also changes the value of $\phi$, as it changes the projection of the point onto the $xy$-plane. So, after this rotation, the point will have new values for $\theta$ and $\phi$.

Next, let's look at the rotation around the $z$-axis. This rotation will only change the value of $\phi$, as it rotates the point around the $z$-axis. So, after this rotation, the point will have a new value for $\phi$, but the value of $\theta$ will remain the same.

Therefore, the point obtained by rotating $(1,0,0)$ by $\pi/2-\theta$ around the $y$-axis and by $\phi$ around the $z$-axis will have different values of $\theta$ and $\phi$ compared to the point given in spherical coordinates.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep exploring and learning!

FAQ: Obtaining spherical coordinates by rotations

1. What are spherical coordinates and why are they useful in science?

Spherical coordinates are a system used to locate points in three-dimensional space using a radial distance, an azimuthal angle, and a polar angle. They are useful in science because they can accurately describe the position of an object in three dimensions, making them essential in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering.

2. How do rotations help in obtaining spherical coordinates?

Rotations refer to the process of rotating an object around a fixed point or axis. In the case of obtaining spherical coordinates, rotations can be used to convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ). By rotating the Cartesian axes, the coordinates of a point can be transformed into spherical coordinates.

3. Can you explain the difference between active and passive rotations?

Active rotations involve physically rotating an object, while passive rotations involve keeping the object fixed and rotating the coordinate system around it. In the context of obtaining spherical coordinates, active rotations are used to rotate the object and determine its spherical coordinates, while passive rotations are used to rotate the coordinate system and convert Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates.

4. What is the role of the Euler angles in obtaining spherical coordinates?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that describe the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. In obtaining spherical coordinates, Euler angles are used to specify the orientation of the Cartesian axes before performing the necessary rotations to convert them into spherical coordinates.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical coordinates in science?

While spherical coordinates are useful in many scientific applications, they are not suitable for all situations. For example, they may not be the best coordinate system for describing the motion of objects in a flat plane. Additionally, they can be more difficult to work with mathematically compared to other coordinate systems such as Cartesian or cylindrical coordinates.

Back