Odd or Even Function: Logarithmic Equation Analysis for Homework

In summary, the given function is neither odd nor even. However, by multiplying the expressions inside the logarithms, it can be shown to be an odd function.
Saitama

Homework Statement

Determine whether the following function is odd or even or none:
$$f(x)=\log \left(x+\sqrt{1+x^2} \right)$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For an even function, ##f(-x)=f(x)## and for an odd function ##f(-x)=-f(x)##.
Replacing x with -x in the given function,
$$f(-x)=\log\left(-x+\sqrt{1+x^2}\right)$$
I don't see it being equal to f(x) or -f(x) so it should be neither odd nor even but the answer key states it is an odd function. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hint: simplify the argument.

dirk_mec1 said:
hint: simplify the argument.

The only thing I can think of is multiplying and dividing by ##\sqrt{1+x^2}+x##, do you ask me this?

Pranav-Arora said:
The only thing I can think of is multiplying and dividing by ##\sqrt{1+x^2}+x##, do you ask me this?

Why don't you just try it and see?

LCKurtz said:
Why don't you just try it and see?

Woops, just tried that and it does come out to be -f(x). Thanks dirk_mec1! :-p

I like this question, very nice it is.

Hint: compare f(x) and f(-x), what do you see inside the logs? They are begging to have something done to them...

You've solved it now I see, so I'll just mention it. They are conjugate expressions that deserve to be multiplied together.

verty said:
You've solved it now I see, so I'll just mention it. They are conjugate expressions that deserve to be multiplied together.

Multiplied? Or should I add them?

Pranav-Arora said:
Multiplied? Or should I add them?
Multiply the expressions inside the logs, which is the same as adding the logs.
Going back to the problem as given, the most natural thing to try is f(x)+f(-x). As soon as you see the form log(..)+log(..), the next step should be automatic.

Related to Odd or Even Function: Logarithmic Equation Analysis for Homework

1. What is an odd or even function?

An odd or even function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where the output of the function depends on the sign of the input. An odd function has a graph that is symmetric about the origin, meaning that the function's value is equal to the negative of its input. An even function has a graph that is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that the function's value is equal to the positive of its input.

2. How do I determine if a function is odd or even?

To determine if a function is odd or even, you can use the following test:
Odd function: f(-x) = -f(x)
Even function: f(-x) = f(x)
If the function satisfies the first equation, it is odd. If it satisfies the second equation, it is even. You can also look at the graph of the function to determine its symmetry.

3. What is a logarithmic equation?

A logarithmic equation is an equation that involves logarithms. A logarithm is the inverse of an exponent, and it represents the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. Logarithmic equations are commonly used in science and engineering to represent relationships between variables that change exponentially.

4. How do I solve a logarithmic equation?

To solve a logarithmic equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, you can isolate the variable by using algebraic operations to move constants and other terms to the other side of the equation. Finally, you can use a calculator to solve for the variable. It is important to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation, as logarithmic equations can have extraneous solutions.

5. How can I use logarithmic equations for homework?

Logarithmic equations are commonly used in homework assignments to represent real-world situations, such as population growth, radioactive decay, or sound intensity. By understanding the properties of logarithms and how to solve logarithmic equations, you can successfully complete homework problems that involve these types of equations. You can also use logarithmic equations to check your answers and ensure that your calculations are correct.