ODE Theory Books: Find the Perfect Fit for You

In summary: Thanks for any help!In summary, the author is looking for a book on ODE theory and dynamical systems that is more modern and simplified. He has looked at Arnold's book but does not feel mature enough for it and also dislikes paperback books. He has looked at Coddingtons book but it is not modern and does not cover dynamical systems well. He has also looked at the book of Boyce and Diprima but it is more expensive and the older edition is better. The old edition is out of his price range. He recommends the book "Foundations of DEs" by R. Kent Nagle.
Skrew
I hope this OK to do, I posted the same question in the science book section and have not gotten a response(admittedly I haven't waited very long but I am sort of in a rush and it doesn't seem to be a question which comes up often).

I would like to purchase a book on ODE theory(as in it gives proofs of everything). I would also like it to cover dynamical systems.

I have looked at Arnold's ODE book and it is very interesting but I don't feel I have the mathematical maturity to consume it yet(I have done an intro analysis class and two abstract algebra classes), I also have a dislike of paperback books when it comes to actually doing exercises out of them and Arnold's book is no longer in print in hardcover.

I have looked at Coddingtons book but its presentation of the subject is not modern and it falls short in terms of coverage of dynamical systems.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about the book of Boyce and Diprima?

wisvuze said:
I like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123495504/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But be wary, there are two kinds of this book; one is more newer and "modern" and "simplified". I like this older one better
That is one expensive book! Amazon has four copies, with the cheapest going for $845?

I have a copy with a 1974 copyright, that I bought in 1978. I paid $21 for it.

micromass said:
What about the book of Boyce and Diprima?

I own the 8th? edition and it leaves out these proofs.

wisvuze said:
I like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123495504/?tag=pfamazon01-20

But be wary, there are two kinds of this book; one is more newer and "modern" and "simplified". I like this older one better

The old edition is well outside of my price range, lol. I actually ordered the new edition from a private seller but then they canceled my order due to not having it in stock...Any other suggestions would be great, apparently ODE/Dynamical Systems theory books are not popular and very few modern ones exist, which seems sort of odd as you would think they would be one of the most important things in applied mathematics(along with PDE's).

Last edited by a moderator:
Foundations of DEs by R. Kent Nagle is pretty comprehensive.

Related to ODE Theory Books: Find the Perfect Fit for You

1. What is ODE theory?

ODE theory, or Ordinary Differential Equations theory, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of differential equations. These equations describe how quantities change over time and are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why should I read an ODE theory book?

Reading an ODE theory book can help you gain a deeper understanding of differential equations and their applications. It can also provide you with valuable problem-solving skills and help you develop critical thinking and analytical skills.

3. How do I choose the right ODE theory book?

When choosing an ODE theory book, consider your current level of knowledge and what you hope to gain from reading the book. Look for books that are well-reviewed, written by reputable authors, and have clear and concise explanations and examples.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading an ODE theory book?

While some basic knowledge of calculus and differential equations can be helpful, most ODE theory books are designed to be accessible to a wide range of readers. It is important to choose a book that matches your current level of knowledge and offers clear explanations of any necessary concepts.

5. Can an ODE theory book be used as a reference guide?

Yes, many ODE theory books can serve as excellent reference guides. They often include tables of commonly used equations, as well as thorough explanations of various problem-solving techniques. However, it is important to choose a book that is organized in a way that makes it easy to find the information you need.