ODE with 2 parameterized families

• Thread starter MisterX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) with 2 parameterized families is a type of differential equation with two unknown functions that depend on one or more parameters. It is used to model various physical phenomena and can be solved using techniques such as separation of variables and substitution. These equations have many applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering and are useful for predicting and analyzing the behavior of systems over time. The main difference between an ODE with 2 parameterized families and a regular ODE is the number of unknown functions, with the former having two and the latter having one. ODEs with 2 parameterized families can also be applied to non-linear systems, although solving them for these systems may require more advanced
MisterX

Homework Statement

problem:
Find a 1-parameter family of solutions of each of the following equa-
tions. Assume in each case that the coefficient of [itex]dy \neq 0[/itex].

[itex](x + \sqrt{ y^2 - xy}) \mathop{dy} - y \mathop{dx} = 0[/itex]

answer:
[itex]y = ce^{-2\sqrt{1 - x/y}}, \;\;\; y >0, \, x< y; \;\;\; y = ce^{2\sqrt{1 - x/y}}, \;\;\; y<0, \,x >y[/itex]

Edit: This is Exercise 7 - 3 from Tennenbaum & Pollard's Ordinary Differential Equations.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my work:
[itex]y\left(\frac{x}{y} + \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{x}{y}}\right) \mathop{dy} - y \mathop{dx} = 0, \;\;\;\; \frac{x}{y} < 1, \, y \neq 0[/itex]
[itex]x = udy \;\;\; dx =y\mathop{du}+ u\mathop{dy}[/itex]
[itex]y\left(u + \sqrt{ 1 - u}\right)\mathop{dy} - y \left(y\mathop{du}+ u\mathop{dy}\right) = 0[/itex]
[itex]\sqrt{ 1 - u}\mathop{dy} - ydu = 0 [/itex]
[itex]\int\frac{dy}{y} = \int\frac{du}{\sqrt{ 1 - u}} = -\int\frac{dv}{\sqrt{v}}[/itex]
[itex] ln(y) = -2\sqrt{v} + c = -2\sqrt{1-u} + c = -2\sqrt{1 - x/y} + c[/itex]
[itex]y = c_1e^{-2\sqrt{1 - x/y}}[/itex]

I understand how [itex]\frac{x}{y} < 1, \, y \neq 0 [/itex] is the same as [itex]y<0,\, x > y[/itex] or [itex]y >0,\, x< y[/itex]. However I am not sure how to discover the 2nd 1-parameter solution with the positive exponent. I think I'm failing to consider something crucial. Also I may not feel as confident as I'd like about discovering multiple solutions to separable first order ODEs that are not part of the same family (generated by changing a parameter). So general advice or techniques might be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the two solutions split off before the first step when I factor out a y from within the square root.

[itex]y\frac{x}{y}\mathop{dy} + \sqrt{ y^2\left(1 - \frac{x}{y}\right)} \mathop{dy} - y \mathop{dx} = 0, \;\;\;\; \frac{x}{y} < 1, \, y \neq 0[/itex]

Because square roots of positive numbers are always positive, if we factor out a y which happens to be negative, we'd need to have a minus sign.

[itex]y\left(\frac{x}{y} + \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{x}{y}}\right) \mathop{dy} - y \mathop{dx} = 0, \;\;\;\; y > 0, \, x<y[/itex]
OR
[itex]y\left(\frac{x}{y} - \sqrt{ 1 - \frac{x}{y}}\right) \mathop{dy} - y \mathop{dx} = 0, \;\;\;\; y < 0, \, x>y[/itex]The lesson I learned is to be mindful that [itex]\sqrt{y^2(\dots)} = \left|y\right|\sqrt{\dots}[/itex]

FAQ: ODE with 2 parameterized families

What is an ODE with 2 parameterized families?

An Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) with 2 parameterized families is a type of differential equation that contains two unknown functions, each of which depends on one or more parameters. These equations are used to model various physical phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

How do you solve an ODE with 2 parameterized families?

The process of solving an ODE with 2 parameterized families involves finding the values of the unknown functions that satisfy the equation. This can be done using various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. Depending on the complexity of the equation, the solution may involve multiple steps and may not always be possible to find analytically.

What are the applications of ODE with 2 parameterized families?

ODEs with 2 parameterized families have many real-world applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model the growth of a population with limited resources, the rate of a chemical reaction, or the behavior of an electrical circuit. They are also useful for predicting and analyzing the behavior of systems over time.

What is the difference between an ODE with 2 parameterized families and a regular ODE?

The main difference between an ODE with 2 parameterized families and a regular ODE is the number of unknown functions. In a regular ODE, there is only one unknown function, while in an ODE with 2 parameterized families, there are two unknown functions. This makes the equations more complex and often requires more advanced techniques to solve.

Can ODE with 2 parameterized families be applied to non-linear systems?

Yes, ODEs with 2 parameterized families can be used to model non-linear systems. In fact, they are often used to describe non-linear phenomena, such as chaotic behavior and complex dynamics. However, solving these equations for non-linear systems can be more challenging and may require numerical methods.

Back