ODE with Parameter: Is \phi(x,0) a Solution to y' = f(x,y,0)?

In summary, for a given ODE y' = f(x,y,\epsilon) and a solution y = \phi(x,\epsilon), the question asks if \phi(x,0) is also a solution to the equation y' = f(x,y,0). This is based on a well-known theorem on the dependence of ODE solutions on parameters, which has likely been covered in the course. However, the professor's assignments may not always align with lecture material and there is no textbook available for reference. We can prove this by setting \epsilon = 0 and using the fact that the derivative is with respect to x.
dipole

Homework Statement

In a HW assignment, I'm given the ODE

[itex] y' = f(x,y,\epsilon) [/itex]

and that [itex] y = \phi(x,\epsilon) [/itex]is a solution to this equation.

I'm then asked, is [itex]\phi(x,0)[/itex] a solution to the equation

[itex] y' = f(x,y,0) [/itex]

This result is used for the second part of the problem, and in the question I'm told I can just quote a well known theorem to explain why it's true, but I have no idea what theorem that might be. Any ideas, or maybe how to even prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a theorem on the dependence of ODE solutions on parameters. I am sure it has been covered in your course of ODEs.

You would think so, but the professor constantly assigns HW that has little relevance to what we've actually done in lecture. Also we have no textbook to use as a reference.

Since the derivative is with respect to x, not [itex]\epsilon[/itex], we can write [itex]\phi(x, \epsilon)'= f(x, y, \epsilon)[/itex] and set [itex]\epsilon= 0[/itex] in that equation:
[itex]\phi(x, 0)'= f(x, y, 0)[/itex].

FAQ: ODE with Parameter: Is \phi(x,0) a Solution to y' = f(x,y,0)?

1. What is an ODE with parameter?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) with parameter is a type of differential equation that includes a parameter (a constant value) in the equation. The value of the parameter can affect the behavior and solutions of the equation.

2. How do you solve an ODE with parameter?

Solving an ODE with parameter can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or using numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the form and complexity of the equation.

3. What is the importance of parameters in ODEs?

Parameters in ODEs are important because they allow for the incorporation of external factors or conditions that can affect the behavior and solutions of the equation. They also provide a way to model real-world scenarios and make predictions based on different parameter values.

4. Can an ODE with parameter have multiple solutions?

Yes, an ODE with parameter can have multiple solutions. The number of solutions can vary depending on the value of the parameter and the initial conditions given. In some cases, there may be an infinite number of solutions.

5. How are ODEs with parameters used in scientific research?

ODEs with parameters are commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and economics, to model and analyze real-world phenomena. By adjusting the parameter values, researchers can make predictions and gain insight into the behavior of complex systems.

Back