ODE with Substitution: Solving for y' = (2x+3y-5)/(x+4y) using z = b/a method

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an ODE and simplifying the solution to find the final answer. The individual encountered a discrepancy between their answer and the given answer, but after correcting a mistake in their algebra, they realized that the two answers were equivalent.
manenbu

Homework Statement

[tex]y' = \frac{2x+3y-5}{x+4y}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I switched it to another coordinates, a and b, giving:

[tex]b' = \frac{2a+3b}{a+4b}[/tex]
where [itex]a = x-4[/itex] and [itex]b = y+1[/itex].
Then using the substitution [itex]z = \frac{b}{a}[/itex] and some algebra I get:
[tex]z' = \frac{2z+2-4z^2}{a(1+4z)}[/tex]
the integral is:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \int \frac{(1+4z)dz}{2+1-2z^2} = \int \frac{da}{a}[/tex]
solving the integral (using partial fractions) gives me:
[tex]5\ln{|z-1|} + \ln{|z+\frac{1}{2}|} = 6\ln{|a|}+C[/tex]
getting rid of the logarithm, and putting back a and b inside:
[tex]\left(\frac{b-a}{a}\right)^5 \left(\frac{2b+a}{2a}\right)=C(a)^6[/tex]
making it back in x and y:
[tex]\left(\frac{y-x+5}{x-4}\right)^5 \left(\frac{2y+x-2}{2x-8}\right)=C(x-4)^6[/tex]

Which should be the final answer, but when I look at the answers, it's different, being:
[tex](y-x+5)^5(2y+x-2)=C[/tex]

And my question is - where did I go wrong?
I had a similar problem where I got similar results, me having denominators which didn't appear in the given answer. Am I doing something wrong in my technique, or both of the answers are equal (and I'm missing some algebra here)?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
manenbu said:
… Which should be the final answer, but when I look at the answers, it's different …

Hi manenbu! :smile:

No, it's the same (if you keep cancelling) …

except that their C is twice your C (which of course doesn't matter). :wink:

Ok thanks, but how is it the same?
I'm ok with solving the ODE but then I guess that the algebra part is a bit hard for me.
I tried getting from one form to another but no success.

manenbu said:
Ok thanks, but how is it the same?

Hi manenbu! :smile:

Because on the bottom left, you have (x - 4)5(2x - 8), which is 2(x- 4)6, and on the right …

ohhh … you need a minus there (i didn't notice that before) …

you missed out a "minus" on the LHS when you changed to partial fractions. :wink:

Oh so assuming I get the minus right that's -6 and -6 powers on both sides. Ok got it!
Thanks. :)

FAQ: ODE with Substitution: Solving for y' = (2x+3y-5)/(x+4y) using z = b/a method

What is an ODE with substitution?

An ODE (Ordinary Differential Equation) with substitution is a method of solving differential equations by substituting a new variable and its corresponding differential in place of the original variables.

What are the benefits of using substitution to solve ODEs?

Substitution can simplify complicated ODEs and make them easier to solve, as well as provide a way to solve equations that may not have been possible with other methods.

What is the process for solving an ODE with substitution?

The process involves finding a suitable substitution, substituting it into the original equation, and then solving the resulting equation for the new variable. The solution can then be substituted back into the original equation to find the final solution.

What are some common substitutions used in solving ODEs?

Some common substitutions include using u = y' or u = y/y', as well as using trigonometric functions and their derivatives, such as sin(u) or cos(u).

Is substitution the only method for solving ODEs?

No, there are other methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and series solutions. The method used will depend on the type of ODE and the preferences of the mathematician.

Back