Of sailing and relativity and titillating patterns

In summary, while learning sailing the other day, the skipper told me that a successful tack will have you pass through a full 90 degrees. This is done without violating rules 1 and 2 (close haul and tacking). The reason is that when the wind angles "scissor together", the faster you are travelling, the more they scissor together.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
(This is about SR. Really.)

While learning sailing the other day, I was told I was understeering when tacking. Here's my problem:

1] "Close haul" is a Point-of-Sail less than ~30 degrees (or so) from head-to-wind. (i.e. if the wind is coming an angle less than 30 degrees off the bow, you are on a Close Haul PoS.)
2] "Tacking" is the act of turning the boat through the wind from a Close Haul on one side, to a Close Haul on the other side.

Thus, in performing a successful tack, you will change direction by (30 +30) = no more than 60 degrees, right?

Wrong!

3] A successful tack will have you pass through a full 90 degrees. It will do this without violating rules 1 and 2.

How can this be? When does 30+30=90?

When the axes of wind direction do not stay fixed wrt the boat as it turns.

(Let's take just one half of the tack for simplicity) Even though I rotate the boat from "30 degrees from head-to-wind" to "zero degrees from head-to-wind", the boat must actually rotate a full 45 degrees to do this.

Why? Because (forget the turn for a minute, let's look at a boat going straight) the forward motionof the boat changes the angle of the wind wrt the boat itself, moving the angle from an actual 45 degrees to an apparent 30 degrees. When the wind was coming across the bow at 30 degrees, that was wrt and obnserver in the boat's frame of reference. An observer in the water would calcualte an angle of wind wrt boat as 45 degrees.

Thus, on the boat, a 60 degree wind-direction-change requires a 90 degree boat-direction-change.

As my skipper explained it, the wind angles "scissor together". And the faster you are travelling, the more they scissor together.

This was a moment of Zen. This "scissoring axes" is a term I've heard elsewhere, in physics texts, and in threads discussing time dilation, explaining the distortion of spatial and temporal axes at relativistic speeds.

But I can't quite get the thought to gel in my head.

Sometimes my brain can smell a personal higher understanding of the universe - but on the whim of a breeze, it is lost. Damn you middle-aged brain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
(This is about SR. Really.)
This was a moment of Zen. This "scissoring axes" is a term I've heard elsewhere, in physics texts, and in threads discussing time dilation, explaining the distortion of spatial and temporal axes at relativistic speeds.

But I can't quite get the thought to gel in my head.

Sometimes my brain can smell a personal higher understanding of the universe - but on the whim of a breeze, it is lost. Damn you middle-aged brain.
I guess what your "Zen moment" was directing you to was Minkowski spacetime diagrams. There the spatial and temporal axes of a fast moving object, as viewed from an inertial reference frame, "scissor together" as speed increase. As the speed of light is approached, the scissor approaches a "closed state".

Actually, the above (simplified) description is not quite true, because it implies acceleration, in which case the object’s world-lines are curved. It is more correct to view a number of objects, all moving inertially, but at different speeds relative to an inertial reference frame. As viewed from the reference frame, each object's spatial and temporal axes are at an angle to each other, with the angle becoming close to zero for an object moving at near the speed of light.

Sorry for a somewhat convoluted explanation, but I hope it brings it all back!:wink:

I think I want to take some courses.

Start with a refresher of HS Calculus, then move on to post-secondary physics.

FAQ: Of sailing and relativity and titillating patterns

1. What is "Of sailing and relativity and titillating patterns" about?

"Of sailing and relativity and titillating patterns" is a scientific article that explores the concept of time dilation and its effects on a person's perception of time while sailing. It also discusses the relationship between sailing and the principles of relativity. Additionally, it delves into the intriguing patterns and illusions that can be observed while sailing.

2. How does time dilation affect sailing?

Time dilation, as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, occurs when an object moves at high speeds. This means that time appears to pass slower for someone who is moving at high speeds, such as a sailor on a boat. This can lead to a person's perception of time being distorted, making them feel like time is passing by faster or slower than it actually is.

3. What is the relationship between sailing and the principles of relativity?

Sailing involves the movement of an object (the boat) through space, which is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity. The principles of relativity also explain the effects of time dilation, as discussed in this article. Therefore, sailing and relativity are closely intertwined and can be used to better understand each other.

4. Can sailing help us understand the concept of time dilation better?

Yes, sailing can provide a unique perspective on time dilation and its effects. While sailing, a person is moving at a constant speed and can observe the passing of time and how it may feel different depending on their speed. This can help us better understand the concept of time dilation and its implications in our daily lives.

5. Are there any interesting patterns or illusions that can be observed while sailing?

Yes, there are several fascinating patterns and illusions that can be observed while sailing. For example, the "apparent wind" phenomenon, where the wind direction and speed appear to change as the boat changes direction, is a result of the boat's movement and the relative speed of the wind. Additionally, the "green flash" optical illusion, where the sun appears to turn green just before it sets, can also be observed while sailing.