Official Transcript vs Unofficial List of Courses

In summary, the speaker is planning to contact potential advisors for grad school and wants to send their transcript. However, they are concerned that the unofficial transcript from their school's website is cluttered and not informative. They suggest providing both the official and unofficial transcripts, with the latter being a more simplified list of courses and grades to show consideration to potential advisors.
thegreenlaser
I'm planning to contact potential advisors for grad school. I want to send my transcript, but the unofficial transcript I get from my school's website is really cluttered with information that isn't very helpful or informative. I feel like a simple list of courses and grades for each semester would be more useful to potential advisors.

Is this a good plan? Of course I'll send an official transcript when actually applying to a school, but will potential advisors prefer a nicely-formatted, unofficial list of courses?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might provide both. One satisfies any bureaucratic requirements, and the other shows you're considerate.

Related to Official Transcript vs Unofficial List of Courses

What is an official transcript?

An official transcript is a document that lists all the courses you have taken and the grades you have received in those courses. It is typically issued by your school or university and has an official seal or signature to validate its authenticity.

What is an unofficial list of courses?

An unofficial list of courses is a document that lists the courses you have taken, but it is not issued by your school or university. It may be a self-created list or a list provided by your advisor or counselor.

What is the difference between an official transcript and an unofficial list of courses?

The main difference is that an official transcript is issued by your school or university and has official validation, while an unofficial list of courses is not. Additionally, an official transcript includes grades, while an unofficial list may not.

Why do I need an official transcript?

An official transcript is often required for college applications, job applications, and other official purposes. It serves as proof of your academic record and can be used to verify your coursework and grades.

Can I use an unofficial list of courses instead of an official transcript?

It is not recommended to use an unofficial list of courses in place of an official transcript, as it may not be accepted by institutions or employers. It is always best to provide an official transcript when requested.