Oh, people why are they are so dumb?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
In summary: Ricky! They were finally able to reach him and talk to him.In summary, Ricky was able to talk to the person who had the phone and they were able to figure out who it belonged to.
Cyrus
We have some leftover carpet padding, so I put an add on craigslist saying you can have it if you come pick it up. This lady calls me and says she wants it and is going to pick it up. I told her to call me when she leaves her house, no call.

The next day she says she got home too late to pick it up. Then she says the next day, again she doesn't call to say she's leaving. She leaves a voice mail saying her husband was on call and she forgot, but that Wednesday would work for her.

At this point, I didn't even bother to return her voice mail (yesterday), so today she calls me and says she wants to get it. I told her ok, and she said she is leaving her house with her husband.

I gave her directions over the phone when we first talked on Saturday. But I accidentally told her the wrong road to turn on at one step, but I told her to mapquest it before she leaves her house.

What does she do, leave without mapquesting it. She then got lost with her husband and are right now circling around somewhere. She called me when she got to the intersection I told her to call me at so I knew she was close.

I think her phone died because it goes straight to her voice mail.

Another (smart) lady is coming by to pick up said padding at 8pm tonight.

The first lady is an absolute idiot. Even if they find the house, I'm not there and I told her explicitly to call me so I could meet her there. It's been almost an hour and a half now, so I think they probably gave up and went home.

Anyways, unbelievable. Mapquest directions before you leave, charge your cell phone, and don't be an idiot.

I don't feel the least bit bad for them driving in circles right now either.

\rant

Physics news on Phys.org
Whine whine whine. Here's a hanky.

Pengwuino said:
Whine whine whine. Here's a hanky.

How's those lasers working out on that Wii Remote, smart guy?

They're being shipped from China. I bought like 5 red lasers too and have plans on convincing a few people that there's a perpetual sniper following them.

Pengwuino said:
They're being shipped from China. I bought like 5 red lasers too and have plans on convincing a few people that there's a perpetual sniper following them.

I hope it emits IR light, because that's all the WII remote will work with.

I bought 2 IR lasers and 5 red lasers. 1 IR for the pen I am making, 1 red for the pen, then the rest to just mess around with. I'm going to buy a couple IR LED's from radioshack to make that 3d imaging crap.

OH SWEET! I'm going to mount the laser on my .22! PERFECT! I could mount it on my shotgun but that wouldn't make too much sense...

She just called me when she got back home. They waited at the house for half an hour, and thought I would sit there waiting for them after they got lost.

Like I have nothing better to do but sit there waiting, in the hopes that they actually find the place. Then she said if I could ask the lady coming at 8pm to leave a few behind for them *since they waited*...yeah right...

Oh, and her battery did die. Smart...real smart.

Wouldn't this be better placed in your blog?

There are a few members who are so beloved on this forum that the main forums ARE their blog.Cyrus isn't one of them, put this in your blog.

Pengwuino said:
There are a few members who are so beloved on this forum that the main forums ARE their blog.

Cyrus isn't one of them, put this in your blog.

:smile:

Pengwuino said:
There are a few members who are so beloved on this forum that the main forums ARE their blog.Cyrus isn't one of them, put this in your blog.

You wish you would be in one of my blog entries. Shine that laser into your eyes, and then press that button on your .22

You two should either have a sitcom or write for Hallmark. Not sure which yet.

Sweet - so which one is Andi McDowell and which is Rosie O'Donnell? I'm thinking Cyrus is more of a Rosie. Maybe I should start a poll...

LOL! Yeah, I think Cyrus is the better Rosie. :biggrin:

A couple years ago, I found a cell phone laying in the middle of a mountain road. I brought it back to town and waited for someone to call me on it. When someone did call for Ricky, I explained how I found the phone and instructed them to have the owner call me once they did get in contact with him.

Sure enough, just one minute after hanging up the phone rang. It was the same caller I'd just talked to. They decided to call Ricky to let him know I'd found his cell phone.

He had a lot of friends. Even if they were smart enough not to call me again, they'd call one of his other friends looking for him and that person would call to let Ricky know someone found his cell phone.

I wonder if Ricky is still on the mountain? Or maybe he doesn't like his friends very much.

Cyrus said:
We have some leftover carpet padding,

These are free, right?

I think people would spend 60$ on gas/time etc to get something that cost 30$ for free.

rootX said:
These are free, right?

I think people would spend 60$ on gas/time etc to get something that cost 30$ for free.

Count the number of times the word "free" is used in commercials for new products - the latest wonder mop, knife set, etc. A rule of thumb in sales is that you will sell more products every time you say the word, FREE!

One of my favorites was the company selling the Italian [heavy accents] espresso maker. They give you the expresso maker, FREE, which only uses their own little proprietary espresso packages. My guess is that the homemade espresso costs $5.00 a cup. But you got the espresso maker for FREE! Perhaps also noteworthy is the fact that I haven't seen that commercial for quite some time. I remember thinking that they got it backwards. They were betting on people continually spending money for their little propietary expresso packages after getting their FREE product. I think you normally want to get the money up front by promising all of the free junk.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
One of my favorites was the company selling the espresso maker. They give you the expresso maker, FREE, which only uses their own little proprietary espresso packages. My guess is that the homemade espresso costs $5.00 a cup. But you got the espresso maker for FREE!

I remember that company! They shipped you the stupid little... i want to call them "modules" but that's too technical of a term for the BS they sold... and you were on like a monthly plan from what I remember.

Pengwuino said:
I remember that company! They shipped you the stupid little... i want to call them "modules" but that's too technical of a term for the BS they sold... and you were on like a monthly plan from what I remember.

Playing the Devil's advocate here: I think the way to do it was to sell the espresso maker for some ridiculously high price, and then GIVE away the espresso modules for FREE! [plus shipping and handling]

Pengwuino said:
I remember that company! They shipped you the stupid little... i want to call them "modules" but that's too technical of a term for the BS they sold... and you were on like a monthly plan from what I remember. Only a retard would buy one.

So tell me, how good is it at making expresso?

Ivan Seeking said:
Playing the Devil's advocate here: I think the way to do it was to sell the espresso maker for some ridiculously high price, and then GIVE away the espresso modules for FREE! [plus shipping and handling]

I think anything ridiculously high priced is a turn off. I think you lose some of your uhm... consumer intelligence when you get to pick from a bunch of flavors and the price is probably relatively small (but still very profitable) per module. Having to plop down some huge price even if its worthwhile down the road is a hard decision for most people. Plus like magazines and gym memberships, people aren't too quick to cancel any "plan" for something so "insignificant" in their budget.

For example, offer 2 cars, one that has to be purchased 100% cash (with no bank loan that made it happen), and one that can be purchased for monthly payments that result in you paying 250% of the actual price, people obviously go for the payments. My point being, something that can feel more like a small monthly payment vs. a large capital expenditure seems to be more tempting.

Cyrus said:
So tell me, how good is it at making expresso?

I hate you. Who drinks espresso anyhow? Who drinks coffee in the first place. Its disgusting and makes me want to punch you in the testicles. Now where are my lasers.

Pengwuino said:
I hate you. Who drinks espresso anyhow? Who drinks coffee in the first place. Its disgusting and makes me want to punch you in the testicles. Now where are my lasers...I really love espresso.

...?

Cyrus said:
...?

I can have you sued for libel. or copyright infringement. or something. ill take your plane as a court settlement.

Pengwuino said:
I can have you sued for libel. or copyright infringement. or something. ill take your plane as a court settlement.

The constitution says all men are created equal and have certain rights. Since your not a real man, you thus don't have any rights to sue me.

Cyrus said:
The constitution says all men are created equal and have certain rights.Since your not a real man, you thus don't have any rights to sue me.

WRONG. That is WRONG. Fail!

Pengwuino said:
For example, offer 2 cars, one that has to be purchased 100% cash (with no bank loan that made it happen), and one that can be purchased for monthly payments that result in you paying 250% of the actual price, people obviously go for the payments. My point being, something that can feel more like a small monthly payment vs. a large capital expenditure seems to be more tempting.

Even if it costs more money, it might save you money to pay more...because money grows exponentially due to a variety of factors..such as investment potential. Also you need to keep a large amount of money on hand in order to ride out potential disasters without going bankrupt.

Ivan Seeking said:
Count the number of times the word "free" is used in commercials for new products - the latest wonder mop, knife set, etc. A rule of thumb in sales is that you will sell more products every time you say the word, FREE!

Or "free cat." Hmmph! There's no such thing...darned expensive critters. (Sorry, stream of conscious thinking there, maybe because the so-called free cat keeps thinking she owns the bed at night...why won't she sleep on my feet in winter but is content to keep me extra warm in summer? )

Ivan Seeking said:
'Free' is only the second-most effective word in advertising. The single most effective word in advertising is 'new'.

well, they are both new and free!

Long story as to why they are there. Probably should have asked some money for them, but we need them out of the house by the end of the month.

Pengwuino said:
I think anything ridiculously high priced is a turn off. I think you lose some of your uhm... consumer intelligence when you get to pick from a bunch of flavors and the price is probably relatively small (but still very profitable) per module. Having to plop down some huge price even if its worthwhile down the road is a hard decision for most people. Plus like magazines and gym memberships, people aren't too quick to cancel any "plan" for something so "insignificant" in their budget.

That's why you can purchase our NEW magic Italian espresso maker for only four small payments of $39.95, with FREE coffee for life plus shipping and handling.

Are these the same coffee machines that you commonly find in hotel lobbies? They may be a marketing scam but I must admit, I kind of enjoyed the selection of flavors available with those little coffee packages

junglebeast said:
Are these the same coffee machines that you commonly find in hotel lobbies?

Not that I know of. I've spent a lot of time in Hotels but have never seen one.