Ohm's Law - current within parallel plate capacitor imbedded in a large volume

Using this method, the salinity of salt water can be determined accurately. In summary, a parallel plate capacitor can be used to measure the salinity of salt water by measuring the current through the plates using Ohm's law and knowing the area and separation of the plates.
PhysicsUnderg

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor with plates of area A and separation d is imbedded in a large volume filled with a material with electric conductivity σ. Determine the total current I if the two capacitor plates are maintained at a potential difference Vo. Explain how such a device could be used to measure the salinity of salt water.

Homework Equations

E=V/d, V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I am probably wrong, but I just calculated E=V/d=IR/d, and then solved for I which gives I=Ed/R=EdσA/L... ?? Any help is appreciated. For some reason, I have a really hard time going about electromagnetism problems and I am not sure even how to think of them.

Physics news on Phys.org
To measure the salinity of salt water, the capacitor plates can be used to measure the conductivity of the water. By knowing the area and separation of the plates, the potential difference between them can be calculated and then the current can be determined using Ohm's law. The more salt present in the water, the higher the conductivity and the higher the current that is measured.

Related to Ohm's Law - current within parallel plate capacitor imbedded in a large volume

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points.

2. How is Ohm's Law applied to a parallel plate capacitor?

In a parallel plate capacitor, Ohm's Law states that the current flowing through the capacitor is equal to the voltage across the capacitor divided by the resistance of the capacitor.

3. What is the relationship between current and voltage in a parallel plate capacitor?

The relationship between current and voltage in a parallel plate capacitor is inversely proportional. As the voltage increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

4. How is the resistance of a parallel plate capacitor determined?

The resistance of a parallel plate capacitor is determined by the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

5. What is the purpose of a large volume in a parallel plate capacitor?

The purpose of a large volume in a parallel plate capacitor is to provide a higher capacitance, which allows for a greater charge to be stored and a stronger electric field to be generated between the plates.

Back