Okay, so this is probably very easy, just checking the solution

• Thread starter Adama0905
  • Start date
In summary, two crates with masses 640 kg and 490 kg are connected by a spring and propelled along a frictionless floor by a horizontal force. The spring compresses 5.1 cm and the question asks for the applied force. The equation Fspring = -k*x is used to solve the problem, with the value 8.1 kN/m for k. The only potentially confusing aspect is the different masses of the crates, but they do not affect the calculation.
Adama0905

Homework Statement

Okay guys, I'm new here, and this problem just annoyed me because I believe it's very simple, but it looks like it could be more complicated.

Two large crates, with masses 640 kg and 490 kg, are connected by a stiff, massless spring (k=8.1 kN/m) and propelled along an essentially frictionless, level factory floor by a force applied horizontally to the more massive crate. If the spring compresses 5.1 cm from its equilibrium length, what is the applied force?

Homework Equations

I think it's just this one: Fspring = -k*x

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, the only thing that makes it sound at all complicated is that the crates are different masses, and that they talk about mass at all. But I want to say it's just 8.1*(.051) to get kN. Is that it? Or should I take into account the masses of the boxes. In which case I'm not quite sure where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you got it.

Hi there! I can confirm that your approach is correct. The mass of the crates does not affect the calculation of the applied force, as the spring is connected to both crates and will exert the same force on each of them. So, the only relevant factor in this problem is the stiffness of the spring, which is represented by the spring constant (k). Therefore, your calculation of Fspring = -k*x is the correct equation to use. Keep up the good work!

FAQ: Okay, so this is probably very easy, just checking the solution

1. What does "checking the solution" mean in scientific terms?

"Checking the solution" refers to the process of verifying the accuracy and validity of a proposed solution to a scientific problem. This may involve conducting additional experiments, analyzing data, or consulting with other experts in the field.

2. Why is it important to check the solution in scientific research?

Checking the solution is crucial in scientific research because it ensures that the conclusions drawn from the data are reliable and valid. It also helps to identify any errors or limitations in the research and allows for further refinement of the proposed solution.

3. How do scientists go about checking the solution?

Scientists use a variety of methods to check the solution, including replicating the experiment, conducting statistical analyses, and peer review. They may also consult with other experts in the field to get feedback and ensure the accuracy of their findings.

4. Can a solution ever be considered "perfect" in science?

In science, there is no such thing as a "perfect" solution. The nature of scientific research is constantly evolving, and new evidence and theories may emerge that challenge previously accepted solutions. However, by thoroughly checking the solution and ensuring it is supported by evidence and rigorous experimentation, scientists can have confidence in its validity.

5. Is there a specific protocol for checking the solution in scientific research?

While there is no one-size-fits-all protocol for checking the solution in scientific research, there are generally accepted standards and guidelines for conducting experiments, analyzing data, and communicating results. These may vary slightly between different fields and disciplines, but the overall goal remains the same: to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the proposed solution.

Back