On Taylor Series Expansion and Complex Integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses using Taylor series expansion as a method to solve complex integrals, specifically the example of solving \oint_C \frac{\sin z}{z^2} dz where C is the unit circle. The individual is seeking feedback on their approach and justifying their solution, ultimately concluding that their reasoning is correct and they feel more confident in their solution.
thelema418
I'm trying to understand how to use Taylor series expansion as a method to solve complex integrals. I would appreciate someone looking over my thoughts on this. I don't know if they are right or wrong or how they could be improved. I suppose that my issue is that I don't feel confident in my solution because it is so abstract and I don't have anything to justify my answer with in the real world...

Say I want to solve [itex]\oint_C \frac{\sin z}{z^2} dz[/itex] where C is the unit circle. I do a Taylor series expansion and get:
[itex]\frac{1}{z^2} [ \frac{1}{1!}z-\frac{1}{3!}z^3+ \frac{1}{5!}z^5-\ldots] = \frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{3!}z+ \frac{1}{5!}z^3-\ldots[/itex]

My next step in reasoning is that I can use the Cauchy Integral Theorem on all the terms except [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex]; in other words, these terms are all equivalent to 0.

I only need to use the Cauchy Integral Formula on the first term. This gives the solution of [itex] 2 \pi i [/itex].

Is this a proper / appropriate rationale? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, that's right.

Thanks. I feel better about doing this now!

Related to On Taylor Series Expansion and Complex Integrals

1. What is a Taylor series expansion?

A Taylor series expansion is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms. It is a way to approximate a function by adding together terms that depend on the derivatives of the function at a specific point.

2. How is a Taylor series expansion useful in mathematics?

A Taylor series expansion allows for functions to be approximated with polynomials, which are easier to manipulate and work with. It also allows for the estimation of function values at points where the function is not explicitly defined.

3. Can a Taylor series expansion be used for complex functions?

Yes, a Taylor series expansion can be used for complex functions. In this case, the series is called a Maclaurin series and is used to approximate a complex function around the point z=0.

4. What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is an extension of the concept of an integral to complex-valued functions. It involves the calculation of the area under a curve in the complex plane.

5. How are Taylor series expansions and complex integrals related?

Taylor series expansions can be used to evaluate complex integrals by approximating the complex function with a polynomial and then evaluating the integral of the polynomial. This method is known as the Cauchy integral formula and is commonly used in complex analysis.