On the definition of radius of convergence; a small supremum technicality

schniefen
Homework Statement
I have a question about a definition of the radius of convergence, in particular about a small detail regarding a property of the supremum.
Relevant Equations
If ##M=\sup (A)##, then for every ##M'<M##, there exists an ##x\in A## such that ##x>M'##.
I am reading the following passage in these lecture notes (chapter 10, in the proof of theorem 10.3) on power series (and have seen similar statements in other texts):

Let $$R=\sup \left\{\left|x\right|\ge 0:\sum a_nx^n \text{ converges}\right\}.$$ If ##R=0##, then the series converges only for ##x=0##. If ##R>0##, then the series converges absolutely for every ##x\in \mathbb R## with ##|x|<R##, since it converges for some ##x_0\in\mathbb R## with ##|x|<|x_0|<R##.

I'm confused about ##|x_0|<R##.

If ##M=\sup (A)##, then for every ##M'<M##, there exists an ##x\in A## such that ##x>M'##. Then, using the definition of an upper bound (in e.g. Spivak's Calculus), it follows that ##M'<x\color{red}{\leq} M##. Suppose ##A=\{1,2,3\}##, then ##2.8<3##, but stating ##2.8<3<3## would be incorrect.

Why is it correct then to state ##|x_0|<R## in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, it should be ##|x|<|x_0|\le R##.

Likes schniefen
Your definition of sup is not complete:
##M=\sup A\Longleftrightarrow##
1) ##x\in A\Rightarrow x\le M##
2) for any ##M'<M## it follows that there exists ##x\in A## such that ##x>M'##

Likes schniefen
I thought maybe the statement ##|x|<|x_0|< R## is not incorrect after all if the set $$\left\{\left|x\right|\ge 0:\sum a_nx^n \text{ converges}\right\}$$ is an interval, but this is not something we know a priori. Besides I am really not sure how to show the set is an interval -- probably requires a definition of what an interval is. Anyway, this seems far-fetched and I lean towards a typo, though I have seen this stated in other texts as well (see for instance A First Course in Mathematical Analysis by Brannan, chapter 8, section 8.3).

schniefen said:
Why is it correct then to state ##|x_0|<R## in this case?
You can go directly from the statement for ##|x_0| \le R## to ##\exists x_1 : |x| \lt |x_1| \lt |x_0| \le R## to ##|x| \lt |x_1| \lt R##.

Likes schniefen
FactChecker said:
You can go directly from the statement for ##|x_0| \le R## to ##\exists x_1 : |x| \lt |x_1| \lt |x_0| \le R## to ##|x| \lt |x_1| \lt R##.
Not directly, but by proving that the series is convergent at ##x_1##. That is not a problem, just a redundant step.

upd

schniefen said:
Besides I am really not sure how to show the set is an interval
Theorem. If the series is convergent at ##x'## then it is convergent in the interval ##\{|x|<|x'|\}##. (It is an interval in ##\mathbb{R}## and a circle if we consider ##\mathbb{C}##)

This theorem is proved in any textbook where power series are discussed. Find it.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK, FactChecker and schniefen
Ok, I think this clarified it. Thanks a lot!

To summarize; by the definition of the supremum, we have ##|x| \lt |x_0| \leq R##. Now, ##\sum a_nx^n## converges for ##x=x_0## and so for all ##x\in\mathbb R## with ##|x|<|x_0|##. As @FactChecker pointed out, we can find an ##|x_1|## such that ##|x|<|x_1|<|x_0|## and we are done.

schniefen said:
Ok, I think this clarified it. Thanks a lot!

To summarize; by the definition of the supremum, we have ##|x| \lt |x_0| \leq R##. Now, ##\sum a_nx^n## converges for ##x=x_0## and so for all ##x\in\mathbb R## with ##|x|<|x_0|##. As @FactChecker pointed out, we can find an ##|x_1|## such that ##|x|<|x_1|<|x_0|## and we are done.
Yes. But as @wrobel pointed out above, there is no point in doing this. Using ##\le## as you originally suggested is more directly derived from the definitions.

FAQ: On the definition of radius of convergence; a small supremum technicality

What is the radius of convergence in the context of power series?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series within which the series converges. It is a measure of the interval around the center point where the series representation of a function is valid.

How is the radius of convergence determined?

The radius of convergence is typically determined using the formula \( R = \frac{1}{\limsup_{n \to \infty} \sqrt[n]{|a_n|}} \), where \( a_n \) are the coefficients of the power series. This formula utilizes the limit superior (limsup) to find the boundary within which the series converges.

What is the significance of the supremum in the definition of the radius of convergence?

The supremum (or least upper bound) is significant because it ensures that the radius of convergence is the largest possible value for which the series converges. It accounts for the behavior of the series at the boundary and ensures that the radius is not underestimated.

What technicalities might arise with the use of supremum in defining the radius of convergence?

One technicality is that the supremum can sometimes be difficult to compute explicitly, especially if the sequence of coefficients does not have a simple form. Additionally, in some cases, the limit superior may not exist or may be challenging to evaluate, requiring more advanced mathematical tools or approximations.

How does the radius of convergence affect the analytic properties of a function?

The radius of convergence directly impacts the region where the power series can be used to represent the function. Within this radius, the function is analytic, meaning it can be expressed as a convergent power series. Outside this radius, the series diverges, and the function may not be well-defined or may require a different representation.