On the definition of width in Doppler broadening problems.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question that the person is struggling with and not getting the correct answer for. They mention attempting to use a formula for Doppler width, but are unsure which one to use. They also question if there is a standard definition for Doppler width in broadening problems. The conversation ends with a suggestion to check a specific resource for more information.
Isomorphism
The following question has stumped me. I am not getting the answer marked. Instead I am getting option a). I have produced my attempt below.

Also I have no idea which formula to use when the question says Doppler width. Since frequencies form a distribution, there are multiple notions of width. Is there a standard notion for the term Doppler width in broadening problems?

IMG_0823.JPG

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Isomorphism said:
The following question has stumped me. I am not getting the answer marked. Instead I am getting option a). I have produced my attempt below.

Also I have no idea which formula to use when the question says Doppler width. Since frequencies form a distribution, there are multiple notions of width. Is there a standard notion for the term Doppler width in broadening problems?
You use the one most appropriate to the context.
Have you seen: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atomic/broaden.html

Likes Isomorphism
Simon Bridge said:
You use the one most appropriate to the context.
Have you seen: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/atomic/broaden.html

Yes I have. I have used that formula on the left side of my workout. The answer is not there among the options.

I see what you mean. It will have to depend on the course the test was for.

Related to On the definition of width in Doppler broadening problems.

1. What is Doppler broadening?

Doppler broadening is a phenomenon in spectroscopy where the width of spectral lines is increased due to the thermal motion of atoms or molecules. This results in a broadening of the spectral lines and makes it more difficult to determine the precise energy levels of the atoms or molecules.

2. How is width defined in the context of Doppler broadening?

In the context of Doppler broadening, width is defined as the measure of the spread or broadening of a spectral line due to the thermal motion of atoms or molecules. It is often represented by the full width at half maximum (FWHM) of the spectral line.

3. What is the importance of accurately defining width in Doppler broadening problems?

Accurately defining width in Doppler broadening problems is crucial in understanding and analyzing spectral data. It allows scientists to determine the energy levels of atoms or molecules and study their properties and behavior. Inaccurate width measurements can lead to incorrect interpretations of experimental results.

4. How is width quantified in Doppler broadening problems?

Width in Doppler broadening problems is quantified using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of molecular velocities in a gas. The width of a spectral line is proportional to the average thermal energy of the atoms or molecules, which is determined by their temperature.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect width in Doppler broadening?

In addition to temperature, other factors such as the mass and size of the atoms or molecules, as well as the pressure and composition of the gas, can also affect the width in Doppler broadening. However, temperature is considered to be the primary factor in determining the width of spectral lines in this phenomenon.