On the direction of particles in a tokomak

In summary, a tokomak uses a series of donut-shaped magnets to confine a circulating plasma. The plasma circulates due to the presence of changing magnetic fields. The gas must be heated before it can become plasma, and once ionized, the particles are pushed in opposite directions by the same magnetic field. The tokomak also has a toroidal field present before the plasma is introduced, and a plasma current is induced later to stabilize the plasma. The plasma flow and plasma current are two separate quantities and can exist independently of each other.
bwana
in simpleton's terms, a tokomak magnetically confines a circulating plasma. I assume the plasma circulates for the same reason that electric current flows in the presence of a changing magnetic field. By looking at the design of a tokomak, I would guess the donut magnets are activated sequentially. Activating one magnet just as the adjacent is reaching peak field strength would propel the particles around. A rough mechanical analogy might be a larger circular rubber tube filled with liquid. Sliding a narrow donut around the tube will propel the water around(although causes of motion are entirely different)

But to get to plasma, the gas has to be heated first. But once the gas ionizes, the negative and positive particles have to go in opposite directions because the same magnetic field will push the differently charged particles in opposite directions, right? Or am I fundamentally misunderstanding how electricity is generated?

I am ignoring the field generated by ion currents because the opposite current flows would cancel them out. So are there two opposing current flows in a tokomak?

Physics news on Phys.org
The toroidal field is there before the plasma comes - it wouldn't work without. The plasma current along the ring is induced by other coils later. Without it, particles would circle around the field lines which follow the ring geometry, with the motion just coming from their thermal energy. The ring current is needed to get the plasma stable for longer timescales but that is a higher-order effect.
bwana said:
But to get to plasma, the gas has to be heated first. But once the gas ionizes, the negative and positive particles have to go in opposite directions because the same magnetic field will push the differently charged particles in opposite directions, right?
Their tiny circles around the magnetic field lines go in opposite directions, yes. This is not along the "ring" and it is not a global current flow!

Likes berkeman
thank you for taking the time to reply. after searching a little bit i came across some drawing that showed the plasma flow 'spiraling' in helical fashion as it circled around the tokomak. following the lines of a giant 'slinky' stretched out inside the tokomak. i do not understand what you mean by 'global' current flow. do you mean net flow? I would assume net flow is zero since the cations and anions are going in opposite directions.

bwana said:
thank you for taking the time to reply. after searching a little bit i came across some drawing that showed the plasma flow 'spiraling' in helical fashion as it circled around the tokomak.
Right, this is the induced plasma current, and the only contribution that gives a net flow.

We need to be really careful. The plasma flow and plasma current are two different things. Flow is the net motion of the bulk plasma. Current is the difference between the ion and electron flows. In general the current and plasma flow are two independent quantites. You can have a current flowing in a stationary plasma. You can also have a flowing plasma with zero current.

Related to On the direction of particles in a tokomak

1. What is a tokamak?

A tokamak is a type of nuclear fusion reactor that uses magnetic fields to confine and control plasma, a state of matter in which particles are highly charged and can reach extremely high temperatures. The word "tokamak" is a combination of the Russian words for "toroidal chamber and magnetic coil."

2. How do particles move in a tokamak?

In a tokamak, particles are heated to extremely high temperatures and then confined within a toroidal (doughnut-shaped) chamber by strong magnetic fields. These fields cause the particles to spiral around the chamber and collide with each other, creating the conditions necessary for nuclear fusion to occur.

3. What determines the direction of particle movement in a tokamak?

The direction of particle movement in a tokamak is primarily determined by the shape and strength of the magnetic fields. The fields are carefully designed to control the movement of the particles and keep them confined within the chamber.

4. Can the direction of particle movement in a tokamak be changed?

Yes, the direction of particle movement in a tokamak can be changed by adjusting the magnetic fields. This can be done to optimize the conditions for nuclear fusion or to redirect particles that may be causing disruptions or instability within the reactor.

5. What are the implications of the direction of particle movement in a tokamak?

The direction of particle movement in a tokamak is crucial for achieving and maintaining stable and efficient nuclear fusion reactions. If the particles are not properly controlled, it can lead to disruptions and potentially damage the reactor. Therefore, understanding and controlling particle movement is essential for the success of nuclear fusion as a potential energy source.