On the ratio test for power series

schniefen
Homework Statement
I have a question about a proof of the ratio test for power series.
Relevant Equations
The following definition is relevant. If the power series ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-c)^n## converges for ##|x-c|<R## and diverges for ##|x-c|>R##, then ##0\leq R\leq \infty## is called the radius of convergence of the power series.
In these lecture notes, there is the following theorem and proof:

Theorem 10.5. Suppose that ##a_n\neq0## for all sufficiently large ##n## and the limit $$R=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}\right|$$ exists or diverges to infinity. Then the power series ##\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n (x-c)^n## has radius of convergence ##R##.

Proof. Let $$r=\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}(x-c)^{n+1}}{a_n(x-c)^n}\right|=|x-c|\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|.$$ By the ratio test, the power series converges if ##0\leq r<1##, or ##|x-c|<R##, and diverges if ##1<r\leq\infty##, or ##|x-c|>R##, which proves the result.

I'm confused about "...the power series converges if ##0\leq r<1##, or ##|x-c|<R##...". In other words, why is ##|x-c|<R## equivalent to ##0\leq r<1##?

I guess the author reasons as follows. If $$R=\lim _{n\to \infty }\left|\frac{a_n}{a_{n+1}}\right|,$$ then for ##0<R<\infty##, we have $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac1{\left|\frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}\right|}=\frac1{R}.\tag1$$ So $$r=|x-c|\frac{1}{R}$$ and then clearly ##0\leq r<1## is equivalent to ##|x-c|<R##. But what about when ##R=0## and ##R=\infty##? Then ##(1)## is not defined/not valid. This confuses me and I'd be grateful for a comment or two.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is fairly easy to show from the definition of the limit of a sequence and the definition of a sequence diverging to [itex]+\infty[/itex] that [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = \infty\quad\Rightarrow\quad\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = 0[/tex] and [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = 0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = \infty.[/tex]

Likes schniefen
pasmith said:
It is fairly easy to show from the definition of the limit of a sequence and the definition of a sequence diverging to [itex]+\infty[/itex] that [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = \infty\quad\Rightarrow\quad\lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = 0[/tex] and [tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} |b_n| = 0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{|b_n|} = \infty.[/tex]
Thank you for replying.

Ok, I guess in computing ##r## the author assumed ##x\neq c##. Because if ##R=0##, then, as you write, $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\left|\frac{a_{n+1}}{a_{n}}\right|=\lim_{n\to\infty}\frac1{\left|\frac{a_{n}}{a_{n+1}}\right|}=\infty.$$ And so ##r=[|x-c|\cdot\infty]=\infty##, i.e. we have divergence of the power series for ##R=0## for all values of ##x\neq c##. Thanks!

Related to On the ratio test for power series

What is the ratio test for power series?

The ratio test for power series is a method used to determine the radius of convergence of a power series. It involves taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of successive coefficients in the series. If this limit exists and is less than 1, the series converges absolutely. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges. If the limit equals 1, the test is inconclusive.

How do you apply the ratio test to a power series?

To apply the ratio test to a power series ∑anxn, calculate the limit L = limn→∞ |an+1/an|. The radius of convergence R is given by R = 1/L. The series converges if |x| < R and diverges if |x| > R. If L = 0, the radius of convergence is infinite, meaning the series converges for all x.

What does the ratio test tell us about the convergence of a power series?

The ratio test provides information about the radius of convergence of a power series. Specifically, it helps to identify the interval within which the series converges absolutely. Outside this interval, the series diverges. The ratio test, however, does not provide information about convergence at the endpoints of the interval of convergence.

Can the ratio test be used for series other than power series?

Yes, the ratio test can be applied to any infinite series of the form ∑an. It is particularly useful for series with positive terms or for series where the terms eventually become positive. The test is used to determine absolute convergence by examining the limit of the ratio of successive terms.

What are the limitations of the ratio test for power series?

The main limitation of the ratio test is that it is inconclusive when the limit of the ratio of successive coefficients equals 1. In such cases, other convergence tests, such as the root test, comparison test, or integral test, may be needed to determine the convergence of the series. Additionally, the ratio test does not provide information about the behavior of the series at the endpoints of the interval of convergence.