Once an engineer, always an engineer.

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the person came home to find the owner of their apartment complex hanging Christmas lights in the shape of a perfect, symmetrical tree. The person jokingly commented that the owner must have been an engineer, to which the owner revealed he did indeed study engineering. The owner then showed the person a sketch and coordinates for the tree, but asked them not to tell his wife about it. It seems the owner's wife may have given him a hard time about his plans for the lights, and he wants to impress her with his ability to create the tree without needing a sketch.
tribdog
I came home from work today and the guy who owns the apartments was outside hanging christmas lights. Above the office door he had shaped the lights into a simple, triangular christmas tree. This tree was perfectly centered, and absolutely symmetrical. I started laughing and he asked me what was so funny. I said, "you must have been an engineer to go to that much trouble to get that tree perfect like that." He laughed and told me he did get his degree in engineering. As I was walking off he said, "Don't tell my wife, but look at this." Then he pulled out some graph paper with the tree sketched on it, along with coordinates.

this is how I picture Ivan being in real life.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do engineers post the same thread 2 times? :-p

I don't even know how it is possible to do that. Maybe what I said was so important it needed to be said twice.

Why is he afraid that his wife will see his plan? he should've known better to marry a lady who is also a geek. She'd most likely appreciate it

Last edited:
I guess she was giving him a hard time for his plans to string the lights in a perfect grid and didn't want to catch more grief about his tree

I guess he wants to tell his wife that he has such a great mind that doesn't need a sketch or plan for creating that beautiful and symmetrical tree.

Related to Once an engineer, always an engineer.

1. What does the phrase "Once an engineer, always an engineer" mean?

The phrase "Once an engineer, always an engineer" suggests that once someone has trained and worked as an engineer, they will always have the mindset and problem-solving skills associated with the profession, regardless of their current job or career path.

2. Is it true that engineers never truly retire?

There is some truth to this statement, as many engineers continue to use their skills and knowledge even after they officially retire. However, it ultimately depends on the individual and their personal interests and goals.

3. Can someone who has never studied engineering still think like an engineer?

Yes, anyone can develop a problem-solving mindset and think like an engineer, regardless of their educational background. It often requires a combination of curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity.

4. Do engineers have a specific way of approaching problems?

Engineers typically use a systematic and analytical approach to problem-solving, which involves breaking down complex issues into smaller, more manageable parts and using data and evidence to inform their decisions.

5. Can engineers work in non-engineering jobs?

Yes, the skills and knowledge gained through engineering training can be valuable in a variety of industries and roles. Many engineers go on to have successful careers in fields such as business, finance, and management.