One-Dimensional Motion With Constant Acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about finding the original speed and acceleration of a truck that covers 40.0 m in 8.50 s while slowing down to a final velocity of 2.80 m/s. The original speed is found using the equation x=1/2(vo+v)t, which gives a result of 6.61 m/s. The acceleration is found using the equation v=vo+at, which gives a result of -0.448 m/s^2. The person initially had incorrect calculations, but after realizing their mistake, they were able to find the correct answers.
WonkySlinky
A truck covers 40.0 m in 8.50 s while smoothly slowing down to a final velocity of 2.80 m/s

a. Find the truck's original speed.

b. Find its acceleration

a) I'm using x=1/2(vo+v)t to find the original velocity but I keep getting vo=12.21m/s (the books answer is 6.61m/s)

b) For the second part to find acceleration I'm using v=vo+at which gives me a=-1.1m/s^2 (the books answer is -0.448m/s^2)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
[I'm using x=1/2(vo+v)t to find the original velocity but I keep getting vo=12.21m/s (the books answer is 6.61m/s)]

Show this calculation.

40=1/2(vo+2.8)8.5

40(2)/8.5=vo+2.8

9.41=vo+2.8

Ahhh I see now, I had a minus sign in there before. I'm getting the right answer now.

vo=6.61m/s

Thanks so much for the response, you've helped me avoid a total meltdown. Seriously, I appreciate it.

Related to One-Dimensional Motion With Constant Acceleration

1. What is one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration?

One-dimensional motion with constant acceleration is the movement of an object along a straight line with a consistent change in velocity over time. This means that the acceleration of the object remains constant throughout the motion.

2. How is acceleration calculated in one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration?

The acceleration in one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration in one-dimensional motion?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In one-dimensional motion, velocity and acceleration are both measured along a straight line.

4. What are some real-life examples of one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration?

Some examples of one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration include a car accelerating or decelerating on a straight road, a roller coaster moving along a straight track, and a ball falling due to gravity in a vacuum.

5. How does one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration relate to Newton's Laws of Motion?

In one-dimensional motion with constant acceleration, Newton's Second Law of Motion (F = ma) can be used to calculate the acceleration of an object. This law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

Back