One-dimensional motion with drag

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding one-dimensional motion with drag. The person asking the question initially thought the equations involved were dy/dt = v and dv/dt = -g, but realized that these equations were too basic for the given marks. After some thinking, they came up with the equation ma = -sign(v)*F_d - mg, and were unsure about how to get dy/dt. Another person suggested determining the functions v(t) and y(t) by solving the differential equation dv/dt = -sign(v)*b v2 - g and then integrating v(t) = dy/dt to get y(t).
cupparamen
Hi, this is my first time posting on this forum. This is a question about how to approach questions about one-dimensional motion with drag.

A link to the question:
http://puu.sh/5fOCO.png

While attempting this question, I thought the two equations they were referring to were:
dy/dt = v
dv/dt = -g

However, this would be far too basic for 4 marks (this is a past exam).

It would be much appreciated if you could help me out with this question.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
After some thinking, I got:

ma = -sign(v)*F_d - mg

So, a = -sign(v)*F_d/m - g

And of course I can sub in F_d which is given in the question. Not sure about how to get dy/dt though.

Fd is proportional to v2, say Fd/m=b.

You need to determine the functions v(t) and y(t), by solving the differential equation

dv/dt = -sign(v)*b v2 - g,

and then integrating v(t) = dy/dt to get y(t).

ehild

FAQ: One-dimensional motion with drag

1. What is one-dimensional motion with drag?

One-dimensional motion with drag is a type of motion where an object moves in a straight line with the force of drag acting upon it. Drag is a force that opposes the motion of the object and is caused by air resistance or friction.

2. How is drag force calculated in one-dimensional motion?

The drag force in one-dimensional motion is calculated using the formula FD = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * A * CD, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, A is the cross-sectional area, and CD is the drag coefficient which depends on the shape and size of the object.

3. What factors affect the amount of drag in one-dimensional motion?

The amount of drag in one-dimensional motion is affected by several factors including the density of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the cross-sectional area of the object, and the drag coefficient which is determined by the shape and size of the object. Other factors such as temperature, humidity, and altitude can also affect drag.

4. How does drag affect the motion of an object?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, so it can slow down the object and decrease its velocity. This can also cause the object to experience a change in direction or trajectory. The amount of drag acting on an object can also affect its acceleration and time taken to reach a certain distance.

5. How can one-dimensional motion with drag be applied in real-life situations?

One-dimensional motion with drag can be applied in various real-life situations such as the motion of a skydiver or a parachute, the flight of an airplane, the movement of a car on a highway, and the motion of a projectile. Understanding and calculating drag force can also be important in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and sports.

Back