One submersible water pump and two tanks?

• Thread starter EddieSpruce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pumping water from two tanks of equal level without altering their elevation. The suggested solutions include using a siphon or a plastic tube siphon with a squeeze-type bulb pump. The risks involved include overflow if the siphon's flowthrough exceeds the inflow. The conversation also brings up the question of how the bottles will be initially filled.
EddieSpruce
Hi, so I'm bad at physics and don't know if this is even possible. I've got a single submersible water pump that is submerged in one of the tanks and the other tank is right next to it. Is it possible to somehow pump water from both tanks or make the water from the other tank flow to the one that has the pump in it? Both tanks have to be at the same level (so no elevation alterations).

Attachments

• water.png
    water.png
    2 KB · Views: 707
Physics news on Phys.org
You could put a siphon from one to the other. Simply a hose that's long enough to reach to the bottoms of both tanks. Prime the hose with water. As long as neither end of the hose comes out of the water, the right tank water level will match the left as you empty it.

Attachments

• water copy.png
    water copy.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,102
Last edited:
Likes berkeman and davenn
Why not just connect them together like this..

water.png

The pump won't be able to totally empty the right hand tank but it might not be able to totally empty the left and tank either.

Don't forget an air vent.

That was my original idea, but it makes the assumptions that:
a] the tanks can be retrofitted with holes in them (we don't even know what they're made of), and
b] the required water-tight fittings will be assembled competently enough to not leak over an indefinite duration, and
c] the system is permanently emplaced (otherwise, see b]).

I decided that the siphon method is the least mechanically challenging, least failure-prone, yet most adaptable solution.

The thing is that the two tanks are two big bottles that I cannot modify in any way. I can add tubes with connections. Not sure about the siphon thing - I could suck the water in the tube and then put the other end in the bottle, but would that even work? Air might get in the tube before I put it in the bottle.

EddieSpruce said:
Not sure about the siphon thing - I could suck the water in the tube and then put the other end in the bottle, but would that even work? Air might get in the tube before I put it in the bottle.

A few dollars at any chain autoparts store will get you a plastic tube siphon with a squeeze-type bulb pump so that you can start the siphon after positioning both ends. They're intended for siphoning gasoline and other fluids toxic enough that you don't want to start the siphon by sucking on an end.

Nugatory said:
A few dollars at any chain autoparts store will get you a plastic tube siphon with a squeeze-type bulb pump so that you can start the siphon after positioning both ends. They're intended for siphoning gasoline and other fluids toxic enough that you don't want to start the siphon by sucking on an end.
That sounds good, but can you post a link or a picture of what it looks like? I cannot find one on google.

EddieSpruce said:
That sounds good, but can you post a link or a picture of what it looks like? I cannot find one on google.
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/fluid-pump/victor-siphon-pump/574855_0_0/

(hit on "fuel siphon pump autozone" if you want to try some other chain).

Nugatory said:
http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and-specialty-tools/fluid-pump/victor-siphon-pump/574855_0_0/

(hit on "fuel siphon pump autozone" if you want to try some other chain).
thanks, I might look for something like that. I just had an idea, what if I get 2 tubes - each in a bottle then connect them outside with a 3 way connector and add another short tube in the middle of the connector, so I could suck the water from both bottles and then clamp it - would that work?

Also are there any risks in making this? If both bottles are about the same level when I make the siphon, is there a possibility that somehow one bottle would overflow or would both of them stay the same all the time?

EddieSpruce said:
Not sure about the siphon thing - I could suck the water in the tube and then put the other end in the bottle, but would that even work? Air might get in the tube before I put it in the bottle.
When you suck the water up, make sure your thumb is in your mouth so that you can put it over the end of the hose immediately as you pull it out of your mouth.

But you don't even need to suck the water.
1] Fill both bottles to the brim.
2] Insert the hose in one of them (either one), ensuring all air comes out of it. Insert all of the hose until you are hanging on to just the last inch or less.
3] Stick your finger over the mouth of the hose end and pull the hose out half way. You've now primed the hose.
4] Stick the end into the second tank and take you finger off.

Or use Nug's bulb primer.
EddieSpruce said:
thanks, I might look for something like that. I just had an idea, what if I get 2 tubes - each in a bottle then connect them outside with a 3 way connector and add another short tube in the middle of the connector, so I could suck the water from both bottles and then clamp it - would that work?
That would work, yes.

EddieSpruce said:
Also are there any risks in making this? If both bottles are about the same level when I make the siphon, is there a possibility that somehow one bottle would overflow or would both of them stay the same all the time?
As long as the siphon is operational AND its flowthrough doesn't exceed your inflow, you should be OK. The siphon itself won't cause an overflow, but it also won't necessarily prevent an overflow if you inflow exceeds your pump's throughput.

Which raises the question: how are the bottle(s) being filled in the first place? They have small necks, yes? Sounds like you've got a hose running into one of them from somewhere?

FAQ: One submersible water pump and two tanks?

1. How does a submersible water pump work?

A submersible water pump is a type of pump that is designed to be submerged in water. It works by using an electric motor to drive an impeller, which creates suction and draws water into the pump. The water is then pushed through the pump and out through a discharge pipe, allowing it to be used for various purposes.

2. What are the benefits of using a submersible water pump?

There are several benefits to using a submersible water pump. First, it is typically more efficient than other types of pumps, as it can push water through the pump rather than relying on gravity. Additionally, since the pump is submerged, it is less likely to overheat or become damaged. Submersible pumps are also generally quieter and more compact than other types of pumps.

3. How do you install a submersible water pump?

The specific installation process may vary depending on the type of pump and tank you are using, but in general, the steps are as follows:

- Place the pump in the water tank or well.

- Connect the pump to the discharge pipe.

- Turn on the power and make sure the pump is functioning properly.

- If using multiple tanks, connect the pump to the second tank using a pipe or hose.

- Monitor the water levels and adjust the pump as needed.

4. Can a submersible water pump be used with multiple tanks?

Yes, a submersible water pump can be used with multiple tanks. In this case, the pump would be connected to the first tank and a pipe or hose would be used to transfer water to the second tank. The pump will continue to push water from the first tank into the second tank until the water levels are equal in both tanks.

5. How do you maintain a submersible water pump?

Regular maintenance is important for ensuring the longevity and proper functioning of a submersible water pump. This may include tasks such as cleaning the pump and checking for any clogs or damage, as well as monitoring water levels and making any necessary adjustments. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for maintenance and to replace any worn or damaged parts as needed.

Back