Onto Homomorphism to cyclic group

In summary, by using Lagrange's law, it can be determined that |G| = 18, and there are normal subgroups of orders 3, 6, and 9 in G. To prove the existence of normal subgroups of orders 6 and 9, we can find a homomorphism Q:C_6-->C_6 such that ker(Q) has order 2. Then, considering the composition QP, we can use the fact that C_6 has normal subgroups of orders 1, 2, and 3 and apply the correspondence theorem to show that G has normal subgroups of orders 6 and 9.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

If P: G-->C_6 is an onto group homomorphism and |ker(p)| = 3, show that |G| = 18 and G has normal subgroups of orders 3, 6, and 9.

C_6 is a cyclic group of order 6.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined that |G| = 18 by taking the factor group G/Ker(p) and realizing it is isormorphic to C_6 and so they must have equal order, then using Lagranges law (I think) I solved for |G| = |Ker(p)|*|C_6| = 18.

G must have a normal subgroup of order 3 because Ker(p) is a normal subgroup of G with order 3. How do I show that G has normal subgroups of order 6 and 9? Do I find a way to show that homomorphisms exist where the order of the kernals are 6 and 9?

Physics news on Phys.org
PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

If P: G-->C_6 is an onto group homomorphism and |ker(p)| = 3, show that |G| = 18 and G has normal subgroups of orders 3, 6, and 9.

C_6 is a cyclic group of order 6.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined that |G| = 18 by taking the factor group G/Ker(p) and realizing it is isormorphic to C_6 and so they must have equal order, then using Lagranges law (I think) I solved for |G| = |Ker(p)|*|C_6| = 18.

G must have a normal subgroup of order 3 because Ker(p) is a normal subgroup of G with order 3. How do I show that G has normal subgroups of order 6 and 9? Do I find a way to show that homomorphisms exist where the order of the kernals are 6 and 9?

Write down a homomorphism Q:C_6-->C_6 such that ker(Q) has order 2. Suppose you consider the composition QP?

Last edited:
Likes PsychonautQQ
PsychonautQQ said:
Hint: ##C_6## has normal subgroups of orders 1, 2, and 3. (Why?) Now apply the correspondence theorem.

Likes PsychonautQQ

FAQ: Onto Homomorphism to cyclic group

What is an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group?

An Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group is a mathematical function that maps elements from one group to another, such that the resulting group is cyclic. This means that every element in the codomain (target) group can be expressed as a power of a single element.

How is an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group different from a regular homomorphism?

An Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group is a specific type of homomorphism, where the resulting group is cyclic. This means that every element in the codomain group can be expressed as a power of a single element. In contrast, a regular homomorphism does not necessarily have this property.

What is the significance of an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group?

An Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group is significant because it allows for a simpler representation of elements in the codomain group. This can be useful in certain mathematical and scientific applications.

Can an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group only be defined for cyclic groups?

No, an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group can be defined for any group. However, the resulting group will only be cyclic if the codomain group is also cyclic.

How is an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group related to cyclic subgroups?

An Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group is closely related to cyclic subgroups, as it maps elements from one group to another in a way that preserves the cyclic structure. This means that the image of a cyclic subgroup under an Onto Homomorphism to Cyclic Group will also be a cyclic subgroup.