Open Link in New Tab - How-To Guide

• Thread starter weitao
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Link
In summary: I have not noticed that in Chrome, but I do in Firefox. I'm not sure about Internet Explorer. Apparently in Internet Explorer 9, if the tab target is supported by the browser, then it will open the url in a new tab. Otherwise, it will open it in a new window.
weitao
If there have html or any code to open a link into other tab( not new window and with right-click of the link)?

Technology news on Phys.org
Nothing that I know of. I've heard about it being in CSS3 but I'm not sure. Right now it's up to the user's browser configuration to decide how to open up links that have target="_blank".

The browser decides whether it is a pop up, new window or new tab.

If you're sick of right clicking, my mouse let's me use the middle scroll wheel, if I use that on a link it opens it in a new tab or on my trackball mouse I can use the right and left click buttons together (click the link with both at the same time) and it opens a new tab.

no, you can assign target="_blank" within the link html code. If your browser doesn't support tabs, it will open within a new window. The browser doesn't decide, it's a variable that you can set in the code.

Code:
<a href="www.blahblah.com/whatever" target="_blank">link text<a />

This is the proper way of using the html code and it's also more future proof for xhtml.

Last edited:
Setting new window or simply open the link may be done in the code, but the choice of new tab or new window is done in the browser.

They are two separate issues, don't confuse them.

You can dictate within the browser settings how to handle new windows (tab or new window), so yes, the browser does decide.

For example, firefox supports tabs but I can disable it so all links such as that you posted above will open in a new window.

There is no code that can force a tab unless the browser is already set to do so.

That's obvious though, but the code does do the job with the right permissions, saying that the browser decides with your example would be like asking how to open a webpage in a new tab with IE6. IE6 doesn't support tabbed webpages, and therefore it can't be done. But the html code target="_blank" is legit.

I know more about computers and webmaster jobs than I do in physics lol, but right now I need to learn physics.

I have noticed that in Internet Explorer 9 target="_blank" opens the url in a new tab when tabs are supported by the browser but no when the server in the link is different from that of the parent page containing the link. E.g. when the link is part of the page www.somepagename.com and the link refers to www.answers.com the link opens up in a new tab, but opens up in a new window when wiki.answers.com. Google Chrome does not seem to make this difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you mean ctrl+click?

FAQ: Open Link in New Tab - How-To Guide

What is the purpose of opening a link in a new tab?

The purpose of opening a link in a new tab is to keep the current webpage open while also accessing a different webpage. This can be useful when you want to refer back to the original webpage or when you want to compare information between two different webpages.

How do I open a link in a new tab?

To open a link in a new tab, you can either right-click on the link and select "Open Link in New Tab" or you can hold down the "Ctrl" (or "Command" on Mac) key while clicking on the link.

Can I customize how links are opened in new tabs?

Yes, you can customize how links are opened in new tabs by changing your browser settings. Most browsers allow you to choose whether links should open in a new tab or a new window by default.

Is opening a link in a new tab the same as opening a link in a new window?

No, opening a link in a new tab and opening a link in a new window are not the same. Opening a link in a new tab will keep the current webpage open in one tab, while opening a link in a new window will open a completely new browser window.

Are there any shortcuts for opening a link in a new tab?

Yes, in addition to right-clicking or holding down the "Ctrl" key while clicking on a link, you can also use the middle mouse button to click on a link. This will automatically open the link in a new tab.