Open loop transfer function help

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the open loop transfer function for a given circuit. The homework statement involves finding the open loop transfer function, while the homework equations mention the commonly used G*H equation. The attempt at a solution suggests using the loop's blocks to determine the transfer function and provides a procedure for measuring and calculating the gain within the complete loop.
axe34

Homework Statement

upload_2016-4-3_15-17-16.png
[/B]
I need to work out the open loop transfer function of the above. I've drawn it on word so it's not great; the + and - represent a summing junction.

Homework Equations

Everywhere I read, I find a different definition of open loop transfer function. I see G*H is an oft used equation but I'm not sure...[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

None!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your drawing contains a loop of several blocks, correct?
Do you really have no idea which elements/blocks determine the transfer function of the loop under open conditions?

No I do not.

KpKaGcGp / (n + KpkaGcGp) is the answer supposedly but I don't know how this was derived.

axe34 - no, it is not correct.
Here is the procedure for measureing/simulating the gain of the open loop.
You have nothing to do than to open the loop (at any place you like), to inject a test signal and to find the output at the other side of the opening.
And this procedure gives you the method also for calculating the gain within the complete loop. It is easier as you might think - and it is quite logical!.

FAQ: Open loop transfer function help

What is an open loop transfer function?

An open loop transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system without any feedback. It describes how the system will respond to inputs without any corrective action.

How is an open loop transfer function different from a closed loop transfer function?

An open loop transfer function does not take into account any feedback, while a closed loop transfer function does. This means that the output of a closed loop system is affected by both the input and the feedback, whereas the output of an open loop system is only affected by the input.

What is the purpose of an open loop transfer function?

The purpose of an open loop transfer function is to analyze the behavior and stability of a system without considering any feedback. This can be helpful in designing and understanding the performance of a system before implementing feedback control.

How is an open loop transfer function represented mathematically?

An open loop transfer function is typically represented as a ratio of polynomials, where the numerator represents the output and the denominator represents the input. It can also be represented using block diagrams or state space models.

Can an open loop transfer function be converted to a closed loop transfer function?

Yes, an open loop transfer function can be converted to a closed loop transfer function by incorporating a feedback loop. This can be done by taking the output of the open loop transfer function and using it as the input for a closed loop transfer function, which also includes the feedback signal.

Back