Operating a pneumatic cylinder on hot air

In summary, the speaker is looking to increase the usage time of a system powered by a portable compressed air cylinder with a pressure of 10 kg/cm2. They plan to fit electric air heaters on both sides of the piston and in the compressed air cylinder, and want to know the resulting pressure increase with temperature, keeping in mind the risk of overpressure.
P K Pillai
I have a portable compressed air cylinder - pressure 10 kg/cm2 - powering a small reciprocating pneumatic piston/cylinder assembly.To increase the usage time of the system,I want to fit electric air heaters in the cylinder on both sides of the piston as well as in the compressed air cylinder.What will be the pressure increase with temperature?

Physics news on Phys.org
P K Pillai said:
I have a portable compressed air cylinder - pressure 10 kg/cm2 - powering a small reciprocating pneumatic piston/cylinder assembly.To increase the usage time of the system,I want to fit electric air heaters in the cylinder on both sides of the piston as well as in the compressed air cylinder.What will be the pressure increase with temperature?

Roughly, p = kT, T = 273 + deg C. But mind that it don't blow p!

Related to Operating a pneumatic cylinder on hot air

1. How does hot air affect the performance of a pneumatic cylinder?

Hot air can cause the air inside the cylinder to expand, resulting in a higher pressure. This can increase the overall force and speed of the cylinder, but it can also lead to instability and potential damage to the cylinder if it is not designed to handle high temperatures.

2. What are the potential risks of operating a pneumatic cylinder on hot air?

The main risk is overheating and damage to the cylinder, which can lead to malfunctions and safety hazards. The increased pressure and speed caused by hot air can also make the cylinder more difficult to control, increasing the risk of accidents or injuries.

3. How can I prevent overheating when using hot air with a pneumatic cylinder?

To prevent overheating, it is important to use a cylinder that is specifically designed for high temperatures. Additionally, proper ventilation and cooling systems should be in place to regulate the temperature and prevent the air inside the cylinder from reaching dangerous levels.

4. Are there any special considerations when selecting a pneumatic cylinder for use with hot air?

Yes, it is important to choose a cylinder that is made of materials capable of withstanding high temperatures, such as stainless steel or heat-resistant plastics. The cylinder should also have proper seals and lubrication to prevent damage and ensure smooth operation.

5. Are there any benefits to using hot air with a pneumatic cylinder?

Yes, using hot air can increase the performance of the cylinder and allow for faster and more powerful movements. It can also be more cost-effective and energy-efficient compared to using other types of power sources.