Operations on Sets: Correcting Answers

In summary, the best way to determine if your answers for operations on sets are correct is to use the three properties of sets: commutative, associative, and distributive. The commutative property of sets states that the order of elements does not affect the outcome of an operation. If you have an incorrect answer, you can go back and check your work or use a Venn diagram to visually check your answers. It is important to show your work when correcting answers for operations on sets to understand potential mistakes and allow others to check for accuracy.
bergausstein
just want to know if my answers are correct.

1. for any set A, a set of subsets of A is said to be exhaustive if the union of these subsets is A, and is said to be disjoint if no two of the subsets have any element in common. if $\displaystyle A\,=\,\{a,\,b,\,\,c\},\,$ tell whether the following set of subsets is exhaustive;disjoint.

a. $\{a\},\,\{b\}$ - disjoint
b. $\{a\},\,\{b,c\}$ - exhaustive and disjoint
c. $\{a,b\},\,\{b,c\}$ - exhaustive
d. $\{a\},\,\{a,b\}$ - neither
e. $\{a\},\,\{b\},\,\{c\}$ - exhaustive and disjoint

2. Tell under what conditions on the sets A and B we would have each of the following:

a. $\displaystyle A\cap B\,=\,\emptyset$ - if A & B are disjoint
b. $\displaystyle A\cap B\,=\,U$ - if both A & B are $\emptyset'$
c. $\displaystyle A\cup B\,=\,U$ - if A or B is $\emptyset'$
d. $\displaystyle A\cup B\,=\,\emptyset$ - if both A and B are $\emptyset$
e. $\displaystyle A\cap U\,=\,A$ - if $A\subset B$
f. $\displaystyle A\cup B\,=\,A$ -if $B\subset A$
g. $\displaystyle A\cap \emptyset\,=\,\emptyset$ - if A is $\emptyset$
h. $\displaystyle A\cap U\,=\,A$ - if A is $\emptyset$
i. $\displaystyle A\cup U\,=\,U$ - if $A\subset B$
j. $\displaystyle A\cup U\,=\,A$ - if A is $\emptyset$
k. $\displaystyle A\cup \emptyset\,=\,U$ - if A is $\emptyset'$
l. $\displaystyle A\cup\emptyset\,=\,\emptyset$ - if A is $\emptyset$

please tell me where I'm wrong and teach me how to approach that problem properly. thanks!:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bergausstein said:
1. for any set A, a set of subsets of A is said to be exhaustive if the union of these subsets is A, and is said to be disjoint if no two of the subsets have any element in common. if $\displaystyle A\,=\,\{a,\,b,\,\,c\},\,$ tell whether the following set subsets is exhaustive;disjoint.

a. $\{a\},\,\{b\}$ - disjoint
b. $\{a\},\,\{b,c\}$ - exhaustive and disjoint
c. $\{a,b\},\,\{b,c\}$ - exhaustive
d. $\{a\},\,\{a,b\}$ - neither
e. $\{a\},\,\{b\},\,\{c\}$ - exhaustive and disjoint
I agree.

bergausstein said:
2. Tell under what conditions on the sets A and B we would have each of the following
I find this question not specific enough. Do they want any of the possibly non-equivalent sufficient conditions, or any of the equivalent necessary and sufficient conditions? In any case, the latter answer is probably better.

I assume that $U$ denotes the universal set and $A'$ denotes the complement of $A$.

bergausstein said:
a. $\displaystyle A\cap B\,=\,\emptyset$ - if A & B are disjoint
Agree.
bergausstein said:
b. $\displaystyle A\cap B\,=\,U$ - if both A & B are $\emptyset'$
Agree. Note that $\emptyset'=U$.
bergausstein said:
c. $\displaystyle A\cup B\,=\,U$ - if A or B is $\emptyset'$
This is sufficient, but not necessary. $A\cup B=U$ happens iff, e.g., $B'\subseteq A$.
bergausstein said:
d. $\displaystyle A\cup B\,=\,\emptyset$ - if both A and B are $\emptyset$
Agree.
bergausstein said:
e. $\displaystyle A\cap U\,=\,A$ - if A\subset B
This answer does not make much sense because $B$ does not occur in the question. $A\cap U=A$ for all $A$.
bergausstein said:
f. $\displaystyle A\cup B\,=\,A$ -if B\subset A
Agree, but the subset can be improper (i.e., $B$ can equal $A$). In LaTeX it is usually denoted by \subseteq.
bergausstein said:
g. $\displaystyle A\cap \emptyset\,=\,\emptyset$ - if A is $\emptyset$
This happens for all $A$.
bergausstein said:
h. $\displaystyle A\cap U\,=\,A$ - if A is $\emptyset$
Same question as in e.
bergausstein said:
i. $\displaystyle A\cup U\,=\,U$ - if $A\subset B$
Same remark and answer as in e.
bergausstein said:
j. $\displaystyle A\cup U\,=\,A$ - if A is $\emptyset$
So, you think that the union of the empty set and everything is empty?
bergausstein said:
k. $\displaystyle A\cup \emptyset\,=\,U$ - if A is $\emptyset'$
Same remark as in b.
bergausstein said:
l. $\displaystyle A\cup\emptyset\,=\,\emptyset$ - if A is $\emptyset$
Agree.

FAQ: Operations on Sets: Correcting Answers

1. How do I determine if my answers for operations on sets are correct?

The best way to determine if your answers are correct for operations on sets is to use the three properties of sets: commutative, associative, and distributive. If your answers follow these properties, then they are most likely correct.

2. What is the commutative property of sets?

The commutative property of sets states that the order of elements in a set does not affect the outcome of an operation. For example, for the set A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {4, 5, 6}, the union of A and B is the same as the union of B and A.

3. How do I correct an incorrect answer for operations on sets?

If you have an incorrect answer for operations on sets, you can go back and check your work to see if you made a mistake in your calculations. Sometimes, a simple error in computation can lead to an incorrect answer.

4. Can I use a Venn diagram to check my answers for operations on sets?

Yes, Venn diagrams are a great visual tool to check your answers for operations on sets. You can draw the sets and their operations using overlapping circles to see if your answers match the diagram.

5. Is it important to show my work when correcting answers for operations on sets?

Yes, it is important to show your work when correcting answers for operations on sets. This not only helps you understand where you may have made a mistake, but it also allows others to follow your thought process and check your work for accuracy.