Operations research word problem help appreciated

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving Ronald and his discovery of four new ingredients for making a potent potion that raises IQ by 15 points. The ingredients are referred to as A, B, C, and D, and the decision variables are xA, xB, xC, and xD which represent the amounts used. One constraint is kept secret to protect Ronald's secrets. The first question pertains to the current cost of using these ingredients, while the second question considers the effect of a reduction in the price of xA to 1 dollar on the quantities used and the new optimal cost of the potion. The person asking for help is stuck on the problem and is asked to show their work so far.
lauraanderson
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me in answering these two questions related to this problem. I'm rather stuck!

Problem - Ronald has just discovered four new ingredients for making a very potent potion that will raise his IQ by 15 points. We can only identify the ingredients as A, B, C and D, which combines several traditional ingredients. The decision variables are therefore xA; xB; xC and xD, which represents the amounts of each ingredient we use. To protect his secrets, Ronald has chosen to keep one of his constraints secret.

What is the current cost of using these ingredients?

The supplier of xA has reduced its price to 1 dollar. How would this affect the quantities of the ingredients used and what is the new optimal cost of the potion?

Attachments

• 10101.png
    10101.png
    24 KB · Views: 484
Physics news on Phys.org
lauraanderson said:
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me in answering these two questions related to this problem. I'm rather stuck!

Problem - Ronald has just discovered four new ingredients for making a very potent potion that will raise his IQ by 15 points. We can only identify the ingredients as A, B, C and D, which combines several traditional ingredients. The decision variables are therefore xA; xB; xC and xD, which represents the amounts of each ingredient we use. To protect his secrets, Ronald has chosen to keep one of his constraints secret.

What is the current cost of using these ingredients?

The supplier of xA has reduced its price to 1 dollar. How would this affect the quantities of the ingredients used and what is the new optimal cost of the potion?

What have you done so far on this problem? Show your work. In particular: you know the ingredient unit costs and you know the amounts used, so what is stopping you from computing the total cost?

FAQ: Operations research word problem help appreciated

1. What is Operations Research?

Operations research is a branch of mathematics that uses analytical methods and models to solve complex problems related to decision-making, optimization, and resource allocation.

2. How can Operations Research be applied to real-world problems?

Operations research techniques can be applied to a wide range of industries and fields such as transportation, logistics, supply chain management, healthcare, and finance to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and make better decisions.

3. What are some common methods used in Operations Research?

Some common methods used in Operations Research include linear programming, dynamic programming, simulation, and queuing theory.

4. How can I approach solving an Operations Research word problem?

First, carefully read and understand the problem, and identify the key variables and constraints. Then, choose an appropriate method and create a mathematical model to represent the problem. Finally, use the model to find the optimal solution and interpret the results.

5. Can Operations Research be used in combination with other disciplines?

Yes, Operations Research can be used in combination with other disciplines such as computer science, economics, and statistics to solve more complex and interdisciplinary problems.