Opinions on 'Modern Algebra' by Seth Warner?

• Thread starter alfiejohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, Modern Algebra by Seth Warner is a widely used textbook that provides an introduction to abstract algebra. It covers topics such as groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and modules, and includes applications in areas such as coding theory and cryptography. Seth Warner, the author, is a mathematician and professor who has taught at prestigious universities. While the textbook does cover some basic concepts, it is primarily intended for students with a background in algebra and calculus.
alfiejohn
Hi Guys,

Does anyong have any comments on 'Modern Algebra' by Seth Warner? I want to get back into math and figured that this would be a good start.

Alfie

Physics news on Phys.org
seth struck me as a very strong algebraist 30 years ago at uw. i would guess his book is excellent, provided you can read it.

Hello Alfie,

I am familiar with the importance of algebra in many fields of study. 'Modern Algebra' by Seth Warner is a well-respected and comprehensive book in this subject. It covers various topics such as groups, rings, and fields, and provides a solid foundation for further exploration in abstract algebra. I believe it would be a great choice for someone looking to get back into math and strengthen their understanding of algebra. I also recommend supplementing your study with real-world applications and practice problems to fully grasp the concepts. Good luck on your math journey!

FAQ: Opinions on 'Modern Algebra' by Seth Warner?

1. What is Modern Algebra by Seth Warner?

Modern Algebra by Seth Warner is a textbook that provides an introduction to abstract algebra, which is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures and their properties.

2. Who is Seth Warner?

Seth Warner is a mathematician and professor who has taught at several universities, including the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the University of Rochester.

3. Is Modern Algebra by Seth Warner suitable for beginners?

While Modern Algebra by Seth Warner does cover some basic concepts, it is primarily intended for students who have a background in algebra and calculus. It may not be suitable for complete beginners.

4. What topics are covered in Modern Algebra by Seth Warner?

The textbook covers a variety of topics, including groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and modules. It also includes applications of abstract algebra in areas such as coding theory and cryptography.

5. Is Modern Algebra by Seth Warner a commonly used textbook?

Yes, Modern Algebra by Seth Warner is a widely used textbook in universities and colleges around the world. It is considered to be a comprehensive and well-written introduction to abstract algebra.