Opposite Eisenstein's criteria

• Thread starter lola1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Criteria
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a polynomial and a prime number. The problem asks to show that if the prime number does not divide the highest power coefficient of the polynomial, then the polynomial is irreducible. The conversation also includes a discussion on reducing the polynomial mod p and the conditions for p to divide the coefficients of the polynomial. The person asking for help is trying to find a way to force one of the coefficients of the polynomial to be divisible by p.
lola1990

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Note, if you want to type in TeX, then you need to use the / slash. So it would have to be [ itex ] ... [ /itex ]

lola1990 said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex]f(x)=a_{n}x^{n}+...+a_{1}x+a_{0}[/itex]. Let p be a prime and suppose [itex]p~|~ a_{i}[/itex] for i in n,n-1...1 but p does not divide [itex]a_{0}[/itex]. Show that if [itex]p^{2}[/itex] does not divide [itex]a_{n}[/itex], then f(x) is irreducible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let f(x)=h(x)g(x) with h(x),g(x) in Z[x], and reduce mod p so that [itex]a_{0}=h(x)g(x)[/itex]. We have that if the leading coefficient of g(x) is [itex]g_{r}[/itex] and the leading term of h(x) is [itex]h_{s}[/itex] with r+s=n, p divides either coefficient but not both (because then the product would be divisible by [itex]p^{2}[/itex]). Also, p does not divide the constant term of either polynomial. WLOG, suppose p divides [itex]g_{r}[/itex] but not [itex]h_{s}[/itex]. Now, I want to find a coefficient of f(x) so that I can force [itex]h_{s}[/itex] to be divisible by p, but I'm not sure how... help!

Related to Opposite Eisenstein's criteria

1. What is Opposite Eisenstein's criteria?

Opposite Eisenstein's criteria is a mathematical test used to determine whether a polynomial with integer coefficients has a specific form that guarantees it is irreducible.

2. How does Opposite Eisenstein's criteria work?

The criteria states that if a polynomial has the form of anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0, where an, an-1, ..., a1, a0 are integers and an is prime, then the polynomial is irreducible.

3. What does it mean for a polynomial to be irreducible?

A polynomial is irreducible if it cannot be factored into two or more polynomials with integer coefficients. In other words, it cannot be broken down into simpler terms.

4. Why is Opposite Eisenstein's criteria useful?

Opposite Eisenstein's criteria is useful because it provides a quick and easy way to determine whether a polynomial is irreducible. This can save time and effort when working with polynomials in various mathematical contexts.

5. Are there any limitations to Opposite Eisenstein's criteria?

Yes, Opposite Eisenstein's criteria only applies to polynomials with integer coefficients and a specific form. It cannot be used for polynomials with non-integer coefficients or those that do not follow the specified form.