Optic and waves design challenge about lasers

In summary, the conversation is about designing an optical system in front of a diode laser to make the output circular and reduce the divergence from 5mrad in the p-direction to 1mrad in the s-direction. The speaker is taking a course on optics and waves and is seeking help on how to achieve this.
elif93
"A diode laser has a divergence of 5mrad in the p-direction and 1 mrad in the s-direction. Design an optical system in front of the laser which will make the output circular, and calculate the resulting divergence."
Attempt;
I am taking the course optic and waves, and the instructor did some explanation about this topic. And I know I should desidn an polarizer. And to make the output circular I should reduce the 5mrad divergence to 1mrad. Then I stuck. I will appreciate if you could help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The polarizations given are s and p; if your instructor already went over everything ... why not ask him, or a classmate?

FAQ: Optic and waves design challenge about lasers

1. What is the purpose of the optic and waves design challenge about lasers?

The purpose of this challenge is to design a laser system that can efficiently and accurately deliver light to a target. This can have practical applications in fields such as communication, medicine, and manufacturing.

2. What are the key components involved in designing a laser system?

The key components involved in designing a laser system include a gain medium, an energy source, an optical resonator, and an output coupler. These components work together to produce a coherent and focused beam of light.

3. How do the properties of optics and waves impact the design of a laser system?

The properties of optics and waves, such as diffraction, refraction, and interference, play a crucial role in the design of a laser system. These properties determine the behavior of light as it travels through different mediums and interacts with different materials, and they must be carefully considered in order to optimize the performance of the laser system.

4. What are some of the challenges that may arise in designing a laser system?

Some of the challenges that may arise in designing a laser system include maintaining stability and precision in the system, ensuring the appropriate power and energy levels, and minimizing losses in the light delivery process. Additionally, the specific application of the laser may also present unique challenges that must be addressed in the design process.

5. How can computer simulations assist in the design of a laser system?

Computer simulations can be used to model and predict the behavior of light in a laser system, allowing for the optimization of different design parameters. This can save time and resources in the design process and help to identify potential issues before the system is physically built.