Optic microscopes. New illumination technic

In summary: It is not exactly the same because the background is not completely dark.In summary, a user named Ramon Pujals shared a photo of a honey bee's mouth using his "special" technique for illuminating microscope specimens. He claims that his technique is different from standard bright-field illumination as it mainly uses reflected light rather than refracted light. He is unable to provide further details as his device is still under development, but is curious to know if others find it interesting. Some users have pointed out similarities to dark field microscopy, but Ramon clarifies that his technique is different.
ramonpujals
Dear friends

I have been working on a new way of illuminating microscope specimens. Cannot disclose the innings of it since all is under development. Nevertheless I attach photo since I think you will find it interesting. That is the mouth of a honey Bee, photo compares standard bright-field with my "special" technic. Magnification is x100. Hope you find it interesting.

Be well

Attachments

• Honey Mouth Parts WM 10x10x.jpg
    Honey Mouth Parts WM 10x10x.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 585
Science news on Phys.org
While it is indeed interesting if true, I fail to see the point of sharing on a forum if you don't give us any details to discuss.

You are correct. I am being egoistic since I cannot publish yet. And the purpose of the post is to know if you people find it interesting. Just out of curiosity.
I will submit full article once I end development of device.

I had qualms before posting for the very reason you mention. Yet I did it.

Yours
Ramon Pujals

It is unclear what the difference between the two methods is, since the field of view for the two images is apparently different. What is the claimed advantage of your technique in comparison to brightfield illumination?

Hi Andy

Thanks for commenting.
Claimed advantage? Well, I don't know yet. But this is what I can say:
Although the field of view is different; it is the same specimen. From Physics / light / Optics / Microscopy point of view we can see the following:

- At bright-field we have mainly refracted light. i.e. specimen refracts impinging light
- At Special we have mainly, if not only, reflected light. i.e. specimen reflects impinging light.

I think in microscopy this is paramount.

Be well

Dark field? Similar but not same.

Hi Drakkith

That is what the mathematic model predicted. A dark field. However there are some differences from standard dark field. First, the background should be dark, yet , it is not. Check out dark field photos.

Be well

Yes, that is why I said it was similar to dark field.

FAQ: Optic microscopes. New illumination technic

What is an optic microscope?

An optic microscope is a scientific instrument that uses visible light to magnify and view small objects that cannot be seen by the naked eye. It is commonly used in research laboratories, medical facilities, and educational settings.

What are the main components of an optic microscope?

The main components of an optic microscope include the eyepiece, objective lenses, stage, and light source. The eyepiece is where the viewer looks through to see the magnified image. The objective lenses are responsible for magnifying the object being viewed. The stage is where the specimen is placed for examination. The light source provides illumination to enhance the visibility of the object being viewed.

What is the new illumination technique used in optic microscopes?

The new illumination technique used in optic microscopes is called total internal reflection fluorescence (TIRF). This technique uses a laser or LED light source to selectively illuminate a thin section of the specimen, resulting in a high-contrast and high-resolution image. It is commonly used in biological and biomedical research to study the interactions and functions of molecules within cells.

How does the new illumination technique improve the quality of images in optic microscopes?

The new illumination technique, TIRF, improves the quality of images in optic microscopes by reducing background noise and increasing contrast. This allows for better visualization of the specimen and more accurate analysis of its features and structures. TIRF also has the ability to capture images in real-time, making it useful for studying dynamic processes within cells.

What are the advantages of using optic microscopes with the new illumination technique?

The advantages of using optic microscopes with the new illumination technique include higher resolution and contrast, improved imaging of thin specimens, and the ability to capture real-time images. This allows for more accurate and detailed analysis of specimens, making it a valuable tool for research in various fields such as biology, medicine, and materials science.

Back