Optical Sensor On/Off for 12V 3.6A Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses using an optical sensor to control an electromagnet powered by a 12V 3.6A battery. The individual is not very knowledgeable about optical sensors and is seeking ideas on how to drive the inductive load. They clarify that they want the sensor to sense a break in the beam and toggle power to the magnet. Suggestions are made for using a photointerrupter or a solid state photoelectric switch. The individual also expresses concerns about the lifespan of relays and prefers a solid state option.
EagleOnePro
Hi all I would like some ideas and pointers on how you think that I could drive my electromagnet to turn on/off with some form of optical sensor. I’m using a 12V 3.6A battery. I’m not too knowledgeable in the optical sensor arena. So if you have any ideas on how I could drive this inductive load give me your thoughts, thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you want the optical sensor to sense? A break in the beam would toggle power to the electromagnet?

yes, sorry for not making that clear.

EagleOnePro said:
yes, sorry for not making that clear.

You might want to consider a photointerrupter. And some basic digital logic to control a digital mosfet.

I'v looked into them, I did not know of any others that may be easer.

I have just one more question. Do you need the optical sensor as a safety device such that power to the magnet is cut off when the beam is cut or to mimic the behavior of a switch?

I need it to mimic the behavior of the switch. I like the idea of a relay but relays have limited life's and don't last for as much repetitions as I need.

Then find a solid state photoelectric switch. Granger has them, but they are expensive.

Google "phototriac coupler".

Likes 1 person

Related to Optical Sensor On/Off for 12V 3.6A Battery

1. How does an optical sensor work for a 12V 3.6A battery?

An optical sensor uses light to detect changes in its environment. In the case of a 12V 3.6A battery, the sensor would likely be designed to detect changes in the battery's voltage or current output. This information can then be used to determine when the battery needs to be turned on or off.

2. What is the purpose of an optical sensor on a battery?

The purpose of an optical sensor on a battery is to provide a way to monitor the battery's status and control its operation. This can help to prolong the battery's lifespan and prevent it from being overcharged or drained too quickly.

3. Can an optical sensor be used with any type of battery?

Yes, an optical sensor can be used with any type of battery as long as it is designed to detect the specific changes in voltage or current that are characteristic of that type of battery. However, different types of batteries may require different types of sensors.

4. How accurate is an optical sensor for a 12V 3.6A battery?

The accuracy of an optical sensor for a 12V 3.6A battery will depend on the specific design and calibration of the sensor. Generally, optical sensors are known for their high accuracy and precision in detecting changes in light, so it is likely that a well-designed sensor would be quite accurate for this application.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an optical sensor for a 12V 3.6A battery?

One potential drawback of using an optical sensor for a 12V 3.6A battery is that it may be more expensive and complex compared to other types of sensor. Additionally, if the sensor fails or malfunctions, it could potentially disrupt the battery's operation. However, overall, an optical sensor can provide many benefits for monitoring and controlling a battery's performance.