Optical system & diffraction limit

In summary, aberrations can limit the resolution of an optical system, even if the system is primarily limited by diffraction.
Kamdinsh
can you please let me know if this sentence is true about optical systems or not?
"Diffraction may limit the resolution achivable by an optical system"
Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
yes ( not just may limit ... it WILL limit)

now had you pasted you question into google, you would come up with dozens of links telling you that and why it happens

Dave

davenn said:
yes ( not just may limit ... it WILL limit)

Does that include systems which are primarily limited by aberrations?

Drakkith said:
Does that include systems which are primarily limited by aberrations?

Im no optics expert :)

good Q ;) maybe, depending on the type of aberration ? take spherical or chromatic aberration ... they effects are mainly seen around the
outer part of the lens/mirror, and it may be quite bad ... I have seen more than one poorly ground telescope mirror over the years ;)
I would expect that maybe for the central part of the optics, resolution is still diffraction limited

The final / fundamental resolution limit is due to diffraction.

Dave

While diffraction limits the maximum possible resolution an optical system may have, I'd say that an optical system can be limited by aberrations and not diffraction if the aberrations are severe enough.

Optical engineer here. The absolute limit to the resolution of an optical system is known as the diffraction limit. The spot you get is an airy disk pattern, which is 2.44 *(lamda)*F/#. This means that with no aberrations, i.e. a perfect optical system, that is the smallest spot size you can get. As you introduce aberrations the spot size increases and deforms according to the aberrations present. So if you have any aberrations present, the system is now limited by the aberrations and not the diffraction limit. Because no real system is perfect, all physical optical systems are in fact aberration limited. However, giving a quick look at the first order diffraction limit to a system is a great way to get an idea about how well a theoretical system could work for a given job.

Likes berkeman and davenn
Drakkith said:
While diffraction limits the maximum possible resolution an optical system may have, I'd say that an optical system can be limited by aberrations and not diffraction if the aberrations are severe enough.

Agreed, and that is why so much effort goes into design to eliminate them :)

Thanks for your input mrlgravesl :)

and welcome to PFDave

Related to Optical system & diffraction limit

1. What is an optical system?

An optical system is a combination of components that work together to manipulate light for the purpose of creating an image. Examples of optical systems include telescopes, microscopes, and cameras.

2. What is the diffraction limit?

The diffraction limit is the smallest possible size of a point of light that an optical system can resolve. It is determined by the wavelength of the light being used and the size of the aperture, or opening, in the system. It is a theoretical limit and cannot be overcome with traditional optical systems.

3. How does the diffraction limit affect image resolution?

The diffraction limit sets a limit on the smallest details that can be resolved in an image. If an object is smaller than the diffraction limit, it will appear as a blurry point rather than a distinct feature. This means that the diffraction limit ultimately determines the maximum sharpness and clarity of an image.

4. Can the diffraction limit be improved upon?

In traditional optical systems, the diffraction limit cannot be improved upon. However, techniques such as image processing and adaptive optics can help to improve image resolution beyond the diffraction limit. These methods can be especially useful in astronomy, where the diffraction limit can severely limit the clarity of images of distant objects.

5. How does the diffraction limit differ between different types of optical systems?

The diffraction limit is determined by the wavelength of light and the size of the aperture, so it will vary depending on the specific optical system being used. For example, a telescope with a larger aperture will have a smaller diffraction limit and therefore be able to resolve smaller details than a telescope with a smaller aperture. Additionally, different types of light (such as visible light vs infrared light) will have different diffraction limits, resulting in variations in image resolution for different wavelengths.